VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WS6Formula305

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Every time I exit a DOS game (whether it successfully started or not) my monitor turns off like the system has gone into sleep mode, but I can still hear the Start menu pop up/open menus on the desktop with a right click. I'm not really sure what the system is doing. The only thing I could think is maybe my video drivers are getting confused switching between the screen mode the DOS game had established and then switching back to the desktop...

I'm running Win2k SP3 with a Riva TNT (from Diamond Multimedia) running Detanator refrences drivers v41.09. Any help would be appreciated.

As a footnote, whenever I try to run Stargunner it will get to the menu and then hang (when running it with or without VDMS). Any help with either problem would be much appreciated. 😀

Reply 1 of 2, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try using a different monitor, preferably a really high-end one that supports lots of various modes (and/or one that tells you what the incoming stream is). When NTVDM exits the video card could be trying to use insanely high or insanely low refresh rates or resolutions that your monitor can't handle.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 2, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You might be able to clear the video problem by forcing a video mode change. That's kind of hard to when you're "blind", so you'll have to find a trick or work-around.

Try this: Get a Windows 9x executable, create a (new) shortcut for it. Right-click the shortcut to get it's properties, create a shortcut key combo (one that hasn't already been used by some other program) like Ctrl-Alt-P.

Click on the Compatibility tab, choose all the compatibility mode options: Windows95, 256 colors, 640x480 mode, and disable visual themes.

Test the keyboard shortcut to make sure it changes the video mode properly.

When your monitor "falls asleep", try the keyboard shortcut and (hopefully) it will bring up a 640x480x256 display.