VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cyberaxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve had some success with this I’ve copied all the files from the DW2 folders on the DW2 CDs to the games cache folder with the exception of the english idx txt and smp which I put in cache\CD1 and cache\CD2 respectively

I then renamed the cache folder to DW2 and hexed the DWB.exe and replaced all instances of CACHE with DW2 so it would match with the CD folders

I then edited the disc.bat and made it so it mounted the folder which discworld 2 is installed in as a CDROM

This works to some extent it starts the game and allows you to play all the way till it reaches DISC 2 then it asks to insert DISC 2 and then just stays with the disc spinning when you press a key and nothing happens

I’ve tried copying all the files from disc 2 to the HD even the install files to no avail I’ve also tried adding in the label but doesn’t work plus the label is the same as disc 1

I was just wondering if anyone else has had success with running it purely from the hard disk (I know I could just ISO my CDs and load them with D-tools but I’d prefer to get it setup to work without doing that)

Reply 1 of 6, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if you hex edited the exe file then why not hex edit it so that it also searches the hdd for cd 2?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 2 of 6, by cyberaxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

all i did was change the directory name and then trick it by using the mount command

i dont have the abilitys to hack the cd rom stuff itself ive tried looking for all references to the cdchange and such but it seems to be encrypted

Reply 3 of 6, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok, sorry about my assumptions made here in this thread.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 5 of 6, by cyberaxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
@echo off
mount -u H
mount H "E:\[Emulation]\Computer Software\PC\DOSBox\GAMES\DW2" -t cdrom
cls
dwb.exe

The mounting of the CD is rather simple just mount with the path from your actual hard disk and use the -t cdrom switch to make dosbox view it as a CD

and i just realised i put this in the wrong forum since this method requires dosbox sicne you have to mount it as a cd