VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've read of a util that lets you arrange the resource files to fit in one folder so you can burn the entire game to 1 DVD. I can't find it anywhere!

Reply 1 of 7, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wouldn't it be just a matter of copying all the files from all the CDs onto your HD and then burning to DVD? Or does the install/config files point to certain discs?

I heard of the same thing for Gabriel Knight 2 as well.

Reply 3 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uhg. I spent like an hour searching with Google for this!

Anyone care to explain how to use this? The readme is Italian! 😀

EDIT: that was the wrong unisci, believe it or not. I found the right one here: http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread. … ighlight=UNISCI

Reply 5 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the file I switched to from that forum (it was posted by the author) was in english. Problem is I can't get the game to run with the modified files. It gives a memory error that it does not give if I just use an original CD.

I have to use the DOS version of the game cuz my plan is to get it running in DOSBOX and play it on my Xbox thru DOSXBOX. 😀 Can someone else give this a shot and tell me if it will work with DOSBOX? Ideally the whole game would be all in one folder on the drive, not even on a DVD. I tried it both with a DVD image and all in the same folder and got the memory error.

edit: I think it's working now. It seems that the only file you should combine is the resource.sfx file from each CD. The other files work fine left separate, with their .00x extensions. There was also a file from the first CD that I needed to get the game started, not 65536.something I believe.

Reply 6 of 7, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Congrats 😀

At first I did wonder why you would want it all on one CD, because it works with multiple CD's anyway (at least for me oO), but the Xbox stuff is sorta a cool idea 😀

How fast does it run? I found Phantasmagoria to be quite demanding (the FMV sequences), are they fluid on the XBox?

Reply 7 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's locking up on me. I think it's a sound problem. I'm going to post over on Xbox Scene and see if anyone has any ideas on this. But the game does load. I haven't tweaked the clock cycles yet, it's only at 4000 on Normal core right now. It will run through the intro animations but lock up at the menu.

DOSXbox doesn't have dynamic core though so I'm not sure if the movies will ever run really well. Gameplay should be fine though considering Phantas runs on a 486 SX/25!

edit: the probs are probably stemming from DOSXBOX being based upon DOSBOX 0.62. I tried the Win32 version of that and the game definitely has at least audio issues with it. So hopefully the community can be convinced to update the port. Dynamic core doesn't even exist on the Xbox version, and image mounting locks it up. So lots of room for improvement.