VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone actually gotten this to work at all? I have a pentium 100mhz with PCI slots and I tried putting the Audigy 2 in and loading the unofficial DOS drivers that were modified from the Live!'s and Audigy 1's DOS drivers and it said it was detected and everything but I still heard no sound at all. Is there something I'm missing? Or does it just not really work?

Reply 2 of 5, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I've looked and I can't find anything. Anyone care to give me a link?

EDIT Found the thread but it doesn't help me any. The audigy12.exe patch worked for that guy, it's not working for me.

Reply 4 of 5, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it matter? It's a DOS system. I don't remember what I was trying to run now. It was a month or so ago. I think it was Space Quest 3.

Reply 5 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In my opinion it's probably not worth the effort to get any PCI sound card working for DOS games in a 100MHz box. It'd be better to pay $20 for an decent (but old) ISA sound card.

As far as I know, the Audigy cards used hacked Ensoniq drivers for DOS support, as Creative bought out Ensoniq and used their PCI technology as the basis for the SB Live and Audigy series of cards. The Ensoniq (and thus Creative) DOS drivers use a software MIDI synthesizer that eats EMS memory (and thus it also won't work with games that have problems with EMS or the overhead required to use it) and uses mediocre-quality sound samples in an Ensoniq-proprietary ECW file format. The available ECW sample sets are only 2, 4, and 8MB.

They also have no on-board OPL chip. Instead, the drivers perform some kind of really awful-sounding emulation. Of course, most games can use General MIDI instead, but keep it in mind for the few that only support OPL.