VOGONS

Common searches

Heelp

Topic actions

First post, by Xaifera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Might And Magic VII that doesn't seem to work with Windows XP Pro. It needs DirectX version 6 and that appears it don't work on XP... So the only way to play it must be through the DosBox...

Now's the problem I don't know how to do... I guess i have to mount the game from G: that's my CD-Rom-drive.. And I think I have mounted G: in local directories... But I don't know how to begin playing.. Maybe i have done everything wrong... That's possible.. 😖

---
Xaifera

Reply 1 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It won't work. NEVER. You cannot use DOSBox to run WINDOWS games.

But, did you try any compatibility modes for the game main executable?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 10, by Xaifera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok..

No I haven't...

I just got a tip about that I could uninstall the new version of DirectX 9c.. Then install the game, and the game will notice that I don't have any DirectX and install the one I need... But I can't find out how to uninstall 9c 😜

---
Xaifera

Reply 3 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It doesn't seem a good idea to me. I think the best way to do it is to find some way to fool the game into believing an older version of DX is installed, without uninstalling 9.0c.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 7 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just for your information...

I made a little stroll to www.ntcompatible.com and it seems MM VI:The Mandate of Heaven isn't listed there (just MM IV and VII)

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 9 of 10, by OldMiser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well... First, if it is the same problem I was having, it's not necessarily a WinXP thing. Cause I had XP on my old Pc and mm7 worked fine there. But with this new Pc, even after installing the same WinXP i had in the other, it didn't work.
I tried many things I read in forums etc. But the only thing that actually worked for mm6 and mm7 was installing Microsoft Virtual PC.
I emulated a new machine using Win98 and both games worked perfectly!
It's not hard to use, and it's worth it. All games (I've tested) that work under Win 9x and don't under WinXP works through this MVPC.
Give it a try.

Cya