VOGONS

Common searches

Constructor under WinXP

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by grandwazir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

When i run the constructor (acclaim) it starts up and then attempts to configure the display with uvconfig and then crashes out claiming it does not have enough conventional memory. I have tried the various memory tricks within VDMsound and WinXP and running in protected mode but nothing seams to work always complaining of the same error.

To make matters better when i run uvconfig on its own in protected mode with all the memory settings it then claims i don't have a supervga card!.

i am at a loss with what to do, the best result i have got is when i forced uvconfig to config for an ati card and then i got to a black screen with a green area at the top. However i am convinced that the game was running due to the fact that it looked like the opening movie was running. However the system will lock up with me unable to close the program or even multitask, forcing me to reboot.

I am aware of a patch which is meant to make it compatable under win 95 however that makes it even worse with the game refusing to even start!

My system specs

VIA Tech - 7IXAH
800 Duron
512mb Ram
WinXP Home - Service Pack 1

Sound : Hercules MuseXL
Video : ATI Radeon 7500

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Reply 2 of 34, by grandwazir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried however, it works worse than the dos version! it just crashes the pc with no excuses at all. No hope for that one i'm afraid.

Since I posted though i have been trying some of the newer versions of uvconfig and trying to force it to detect my card as super vga. UvConfig 6.7's VBETEST recongises my card correctly however uvconfig still refuses to install drivers properly for it. Grr.

Also if it helps i have been able to replicate the same graphical corruption i encountered before, by running unicentr from scitechs 6.53 dos release. Any graphical mode i choose with any refresh rate or resolution results in the same squashing of the image at the top of the screen.

Reply 3 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by grandwazir I have tried however, it works worse than the dos version! it just crashes the pc with no excuses at all.

You applied all the compatibility mode options for the Windows version? (Win95, 640x0480, disable themes, etc...)

Since I posted though i have been trying some of the newer versions of uvconfig and trying to force it to detect my card as super vga.

IIRC correctly SciTech never finished the XP-compatible version of UVConfig. game doesn't appear to have a VGA (320x200) option either. Not good.

Reply 5 of 34, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
grandwazir wrote:

I have tried however, it works worse than the dos version! it just crashes the pc with no excuses at all. No hope for that one i'm afraid.

Since I posted though i have been trying some of the newer versions of uvconfig and trying to force it to detect my card as super vga. UvConfig 6.7's VBETEST recongises my card correctly however uvconfig still refuses to install drivers properly for it. Grr.

Also if it helps i have been able to replicate the same graphical corruption i encountered before, by running unicentr from scitechs 6.53 dos release. Any graphical mode i choose with any refresh rate or resolution results in the same squashing of the image at the top of the screen.

Since you like experimenting with this, go read this page:
http://home.student.utwente.nl/r.muller/unire … /videoproblems/

And keep trying. 😀

It would be interesting to see what happens with Rob's modified univbe.drv and NOLFB. Or without NOLFB. and myriad combinations thereof.

Reply 7 of 34, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was an American version of it? heh
I'm in the US and found the Euro version at a computer fair before the fair started to blow. (eg. the first year 😜)
When I get my main box back I'll try to remember to test Constructor, though I SWEAR I played Mob Rule on my Windows 2000 computer (tried hacking the money and resources with MemHack which gave some fatal error, IIRC) which, as I said, uses the same engine.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 34, by gil22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Q. "It would be interesting to see what happens with Rob's modified univbe.drv and NOLFB. Or without NOLFB." -Schadenfreude

A. Then let's see what we can see.....

------------------

This is probably more than you need to know, but this is a known problem so I have a step-by-step for it.

(-And I'm curious about the need for nolfb with the radeon....)

------------------

Constructor -DOS version (in winxp)

1. Download the univbe modified drivers from here: http://home.student.utwente.nl/r.muller/unire … resh/index.html (in the video problems section).

-Extract them and go to the \53a subfolder it created and copy the univbe.drv file from there to the game's /settings subfolder

2. Download the "VESA 2.0 patch for Windows NT/2000/XP (09/21/ 2002)" (nolfb.zip) from here: http://www.advsys.net/ken/build.htm

-Extract and place the files into the game's main folder.

3. You can either use notepad to create a start.bat file like this:

nolfb.com
game.exe

And then use VDMSound on setsound.bat (to configure the sound) and then use the Launcher's default VDMS config. on start.bat to play.

OR

Use VDMSound on setsound.bat (to configure the sound) and then on game.exe to play (but use the Launcher's "custom configuration" setup option to add this line:

C:\full path to\NOLFB.COM

[Note: If you do it this way, you have to use the full path even if nolfb.com is in the same directory as the game. Also, using the VDMS "autoexec.bat" box has a tendency (on my machine anyways) to crash Explorer if you are DblClicking on a VDMS shortcut.]

...into the "advanced" "dos environment" "autoexec.bat" box.

4. If you receive an error about "networking" and/or experience a frozen mouse...

Open c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt with notepad and change:

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

to this:

REM lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

and then save.

[If you are actually using DOS networking for anything you will need to turn it back on later and this may or may not disable multiplayer in the game. VDMS's "enable low level networking" may also come into play (one way or the other) but I didn't think about that 'til now, so I don't know.]

-If I didn't forget anything the game should work fine.

Good Luck!

Reply 10 of 34, by gil22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. I'm lost. You're saying he needs to use UniVBE AND NOLFB?! -Nicht Sehr Gut

Sort of.....

As far as I can see, this is what's happening:

The game is using the built-in version of univbe and univbe doesn't support geforce cards.

By using the modified driver you tell the game that univbe is installed and everything is great, please start now.

But all the modified driver does is pass everything over to the video card, Univbe itself is bypassed. So you are not really using univbe at all.

If the card does everything the game expects, the game runs.

If it doesn't the game crashes.

Which is what happens with the geforce and Constructor.

It appears that Constructor and the geforce have "issues" with the linear framebuffer (or whatever else nofb does).

Which nolfb fixes....

And the game runs.

-Note: This is just for the geforce. While I suspect that the Radeon will act the same way I don't have any experience with it, so nolfb might not be neccessary.

Reply 14 of 34, by gil22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"Gwaaaaaaa? With my GeForce256 it ran fine". -Snover

Should have been more specific, I have a geforce 2 GTS/Pro.

But I'm still shocked and amazed that you could just install (if you are talking about constructor) and run with a geforce256.

I'd guess that the univbe version that the game is using is around 5.3 and support for the Geforces wasn't added by Sci-Tech until beta 7. Do you have that installed/in your path?

Reply 16 of 34, by grandwazir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the ideas and with all the help managed to get the game to load and get to the menu with a proper display - woohoo! however as soon as i move the mouse the game crashs my computer 🙁 I have tried Mouse2kv and tried using the fixes suggested by gil22 however same problem occours (I do have a network card - sorry i forgot about it before - ActionTec Wireless PCI).

This one has me completed stumped.