VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by millenium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody,

I have a dos version of this game and I can't run it. I tried VDMsound (
some posts say that it should run this game ), but it doesn't work and displays me "Failed to load sound drivers". What does that mean and what should I do to run this game ?

P.S. I tried SCUMMVM and the game worked, but without music... That's
not good enough...

Reply 1 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by millenium I have a dos version of this game and I can't run it. I tried VDMsound (
some posts say that it should run this game ), but it doesn't work and displays me "Failed to load sound drivers". What does that mean...

Have you run the install/setup program to configure the game for SoundBlaster audio yet?

P.S. I tried SCUMMVM and the game worked, but without music...

Well they're still at 80% compatibility, so that's to be expected. BTW, have you tried using the Windows version yet? IIRC, Simon2 had both DOS and Windows executables.

Reply 2 of 7, by millenium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you run the install/setup program to configure the game for SoundBlaster audio yet?

Yes, and it didn't help.

BTW, have you tried using the Windows version yet? IIRC, Simon2 had both DOS and Windows executables.

Somehow there's no win executable... Any suggestions ?

Reply 3 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by millenium Yes, and it didn't help.

You tried both General MIDI and Adlib/SoundBlaster for the music?

Somehow there's no win executable... Any suggestions ?

If you still can't get it running, you may be stuck. I'm certain the CD-version has the Windows 95 executable. Not sure about the floppy version.

Reply 6 of 7, by millenium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You tried both General MIDI and Adlib/SoundBlaster for the music?

Yes. It didn't help.

Did you try all the simon 2 targets with ScummVM?

Yes, I have...

What's strange this game doesn't even run in DOS 6.22, which I still have, because of that "can't load sound...". Let's say my package is completetely wrong... Why does it run in SCUMMVM ( DOS talkie ) with
full voice, but without music when ?

Reply 7 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by millenium Yes. It didn't help.

Then something's up, because I know it can work using the FM music option (AdLib/SoundBlaster).

What's strange this game doesn't even run in DOS 6.22, which I still have, because of that "can't load sound...". Let's say my package is completetely wrong...

That's what it sounds like from what you described.

Why does it run in SCUMMVM ( DOS talkie ) with
full voice, but without music when ?

ScummVM is basically replacing the game engine with it's own and using the game's data files. It could be that you're missing critical pieces of the game's "engine".