VOGONS

Common searches

QIX

Topic actions

First post, by JayDP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have on a Floppy Disk QIX from Taito Software (for DOS).
I ran the install (Install.bat) which basically copies all of the files to a specified directory.
Then in DOS I type: QIX (Qix.com).
Then a small screen pops up asking me to put the Key Disk (the original Floppy) in and identify the letter of the floppy drive. "A" is the default and so I press Enter.

However the program returns with a message that this is not the original disk (it is). So I am stuck. I tried it with Write-Protect (on the Floppy) set to both ON and OFF.

Any ideas / suggestions?
DOS through Win XP Pro can read the disk because it successfully copied all of the files and Qix.com starts to run and asks for the original "Key" disk.

I really like this old DOD game, and it has been a while since I have been able to play it. I gave up with Win 2000 pro, and now that I recently upgraded to Win XP Pro, I thought I'd give it another try.

This disk work a few years back when I had Win 95, so I know the floppy is (at least was working) properly, then.

Reply 1 of 4, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am guessing that XP's DOS doesn't support whatever the call is to read the key disk. I had some trouble with the game Lemmings that required the disk to be in the drive. I know the disk is ok because I can play it on the old 486 I have for DOS gaming, but it wouldn't work on my XP machine.

Funny that you should mention Qix, my son was just playing it on the Atari 800 a couple days ago. You might be able to find it on the net for another platform such as the Atari and play it though an emulator, though I am not sure if they ever released the license for it. Probably not, since a quick search shows it in the recently released (UK) Taito Legends 2 for the PS2/Xbox.

Reply 2 of 4, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most likely, it is protected in the manner very similarly to Arkanoid. Does not work on XP either -- XP does not support some low-level floppy controller calls. Win9x allows more direct control so it might work. It may still fail with some modern floppy controllers.
Atari 800 version may actually be better than PC one -- that's not uncommon for games of that period. My favorite version of Arkanoid was the one for MSX, I would not be surprised if Qix was good on that platform as well.

Reply 3 of 4, by JayDP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Note: I tried it with DosBox as well, and it wouldn't work, so possibly the floppy controller is also part of the problem. Any solutions, i do not have an Atari or any other system.