VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PherreeC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I now have two versions of King's Quest VII (although I'm not sure which one is which) and both are giving me the same problem. As soon as I click "Setup", I get a message about a missing "SHELL.DLL". I did some online research and managed to find out that I'm not the only person this has happened to, but there were no suggestions on how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Is this a DOS game? Was DLL's present in the DOS era?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 10, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, in origin it is a Windows 3.11 game. The second version you spoke of also included a DOS executable though.
You might try installing in comptabilitiy mode or using the DOS install instead for the second version ("INSTALL.EXE", not "SETUP.EXE).

Reply 4 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only version 2 has a DOS version. Look for a file on the CD named version. Is there an INSTALL.EXE? With Sierra games SETUP is for Windows games, INSTALL for DOS. If you don't have the DOS version, you can manually install the Windows version.

Reply 5 of 10, by PherreeC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I remember a file called "Version", but I'm not sure. A friend who's trying to help me has the CDs right now, though I'll get them back tonight and try it. So I'll get back to ya later.

Reply 7 of 10, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can't open the file directly, because it doesn't have any file extension. To read it, open Notepad and drag and drop the file inside.
But this is not really necessary. Just check, if there is a file called "INSTALL.EXE" on your disc. If this is the case, you have the second version and can try to start the DOS Install.

Or have you already tried out the Windows 95 compatibility settings for "SETUP.EXE"?

Reply 8 of 10, by PherreeC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The disc is an older version. There is NO "Install.EXE" on the disc whatsoever. The only ".EXE" file that is on there is "Setup.EXE" which, when ran through DOS or just normally double clicked, it gives an error message saying, "Cannot find Shell.DLL". It also says (after you click OK) "The second part of Sierra's Setup program was unable to execute. Please try running_SETUP.EXE in your TEMP directory. If this fails, contact Sierra technical support for assistance."

Soooo... I also have an option to create a boot disk, which in this case, I don't think is the problem seeing as how this computer has a gig of memory and is running a 3.14GHz P4 as it's processor.

The other few files that are on the CD are.... 2 folders, AVI and ENGLISH; MKGROUP, RESOURCE, SCIDLL.DLL, SIERRAW, 2 help files, and some other random RESOURCE files that are all on there.

Reply 9 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This does not sound like any Sierra setup that I have encountered. What version is the game? Is it earlier than 1.5? It may be a pre Win95 Windows game. You can try to copy the game files to your HDD and modify the RESOURCE.WIN file to reflect your paths. For the shortcut, drag one from the game's executable, SIERRAW.EXE to your desktop and add the path to the RESOURCE.WIN after the path to the executable in the target field.

Reply 10 of 10, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

Is this a DOS game? Was DLL's present in the DOS era?

I'm sorry, but "Quote of the Day!". That's gold 😀

If you want to contact me privately, you can upload the CD to my webspace and I'll DL it and try to get it working for you. I'm sure it can be done.

- Spike