VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since most of the older games, using the MT-32, have hardcoded port addresses I set my MT-32 at 330.

The DB60XG on a SB16 ASP MCD I set at 300 seeing how games supporting GM allow for address selection.

Now I encountered an exception (LSL6).

It allows you to choose among cards such as the MT-32 and GM, but is hardcoded to 330.

Various ways I can think of to solve this problem are:

1) Patching the game.
Might be easy, could easily turn out hard if there is, for example, a checksum check.

2) Opening case, changing jumpers, &c.
Time consuming.

3) Making switches and mounting them outside the case to switch jumpers quickly.
Seems most agreeable in the end.

How do you solve this problem?

Reply 2 of 6, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my 486 I went with solution 3 - meanwhile I've got switches for SB IRQ (5/7), GUS base address (220/240), MIDI base adress on SB16 and LAPC-I (300/330), and enabling/disabling my old ISA VGA card (this required some soldering on the VGA, but works very well).
Additionally I have switches to control the bus clock (25/33/40 MHz) and CPU multiplicator (2x/3x).
The switch method requires some time to install (and it helps if you already know on which end to grab a soldering iron 😉), but it will be a nifty thing to have, especially if you try out a lot of different old software.

Reply 4 of 6, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had success with the Sierra MIDI Port Changer, found at QuestStudios.

I've not figured out why, but GENMIDI.DRV is one of the few drivers that will not respond to an address specification in the RESOURCE.CFG. Soundblaster, Game Blaster, etc, have no problem with doing so (e.g. SNDBLAST.DRV 240).