VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 69king

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't played many DOS games in a while but a few days ago I got the urge to play Grand Prix 2. It installed OK, except it said I had no extended memory. Then when I try to run the game it doesn't start up at all. Even if I use VDMS. I then tried a few other old DOS games that I know worked before on my system and the same thing happens with them. With or without VDMS they simply end immediately after I run them. The problem is with later DOS games (mid 90's) that have stricter requirements.

I don't know what I have changed on my system to make these games not work.

any ideas?

Reply 1 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are using real ms-dos, check your config.sys and autoexec.bat files. Also keep in mind that newer mainboards may have some problems for real ms-dos (no compatible sound hardware, no physical space for ems page frame, etc)...

Tried DOSBox 0.65?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 10, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

type 'Gp2 nosound' to find if the sound is stopping you from running the game/
Forget dosbox for this game, when GP2 came out in 96 it was so cpu demanding you could only play it in all it's glory years later, anything less than a p2-600mhz would struggle in svga with 25 fps.

Reply 4 of 10, by 69king

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, it seems that any DOS game from 1995 or later will not run at all in XP on my system. Using VDMS or not, they simply terminate immediately when I try to run them. This was not the case a few months ago.
Another thing, games pre-1995 that were working fine before are now
complaining about low conventional memory (but at least they run)

WTF have I done to my computer?????

Reply 5 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just a shot in the dark...

Replace both config.nt and autoexec.nt with backup copies from \WINDOWS\REPAIR folder.

Check your system for spyware/malware.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You have enabled some on-board device in BIOS? Search for BIOS + EMS + VDMSound.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 10, by 69king

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've solved the problem. It was due to a windows update. I noticed that I had installed about 20 updates on january 20th and that seemed to coincide with the last time I had played some old dos games. I uninstalled all of those updates and now it works fine!!

the only thing is GP2 runs way too fast.

Reply 8 of 10, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
69king wrote:

the only thing is GP2 runs way too fast.

Absolutely.
After reading your post, I felt that urge too and had to try and launch GP2 after many years of "pit stop" 😉 , first time ever under WinXP, installing from HD (bad luck trying it out with a .iso image), setting sound, ems, buffers & mscdex paraphernalia with VDMSound, it installs and works fine, but they seem to drive on steroids 🤣 500+ kph ? 😕 😵

GP2 with Dosbox... best results using gulikoza's cvs, but it's still too slow so far 😖 about 8 fps

swerving from jet propulsion to suboceanic racing.

Best performance I found was using Virtual PC, either virtual Dos 6.22 or Windows 95a (the latter is better by far) which as you probably know comes with soundblaster & S3 drivers : here's the good gameplay experience of 10 years ago or so, 25 fps and the right timing sensation.
It's true that's not quite a fair solution as far as WinXP is concerned..

Reply 9 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah GP2 does misbehave, or runs unplayably slow in DOSBox (good for taking screenshots easily though!).

Oh and if you press O to view Processor Occapancy it crashes!).

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor