VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aliasofmike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know there were a lot of games for like this (starflight, masters of orion), but I am almost certian i will recognize the title if someone mentions it.

It was a space game, I believe "you" are earthlings, resources are obtained by mining planets (you drop a lander down and pick up dots relating to metals of different values), there's also a large galactic map, and relations between several races in a different sectors. the game had a good sense of humor, and each race had a signature ship.

any ideas would be great, thanks

Reply 2 of 9, by aliasofmike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

unfortunately it was not any of those titles. strange that i remember being told this was a classic title, yet i can't find word of it anywhere.

I know that you could upgrade your ship to carry more fuel tanks and cargo capacity. I think there were many other options but those i think were the most basic as it related directly to the mining that made up a major amount of the (early at least) gameplay.

There were stars on the hyperspace map, all arranged in star systems (alpha, beta etc.) and then each star system had planets which could be landed upon to gain minerals. Sometimes on the surface of these planets there would be roving beasts to avoid. Driving on the surface of the planets 'wrapped around' but only in one dimension, so as to form the shape of a cylinder instead of sphere.

Interacting with aliens usually involved the standard RPG fair with a selection of responses to given text, but it felt fairly dynamic and was usually fairly funny. Sometimes information could be won or bartered for, as well as battles instigated.

The home base was I believe a space station arouind the moon. I think the backstory involved aliens arriving on earth and 'locking down' the planet.

Reply 3 of 9, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe you're thinking of Alien Legacy, am I right?

If so, that's a wonderful, complex game (which for 1994 is quite amazing), which draws the story together with the resource gathering, colony management, and exploration. I play it myself and love it.

Reply 4 of 9, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe you're thinking of Alien Legacy, am I right?

If so, that's a wonderful, complex game (which for 1994 is quite amazing), which draws the story together with the resource gathering, colony management, and exploration. I play it myself and love it.