VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dhruba.bandopadhyay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a search around and found an article of someone mentioning they got MS-DOS installation on bootable cd.

I am wondering if anyone who has done this to let me know how they manage to do this?

Best burning program is Nero Burning ROM. It specifies two types of bootable CD-ROMs:

1. CD-ROM (Boot)
2. CD-ROM (EFI Boot)

I guess if I have the floppy disks then the boot image data is easy to get. However if I only backed up my MS-DOS 6.2 files of the disks then I won't have the boot image data. If the latter is the case, can Nero still do sometime to make it boot up (like grab the Windows 98SE boot image instead). Then we have unseen problems such as whether MS-DOS setup/install requires data from A:\ drive. Hmm...

Reply 3 of 6, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a PC that had the floppy controller stop working and I created a DOS boot CD on a PC with a working floppy for troubleshooting purposes. If I remember right, all you do in Nero is tell it what to use for a boot image. If you have a floppy boot disk formatted with DOS 6.2 you do it tell it to get the boot image from there. I hadn't tried using the boot CD for installation of DOS 6.2 but I guess you could try copying all 3 disks to the CD and run the installation, or you could always just manually copy the entire c:\dos folder.

Reply 4 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EFI boot is for systems that use EFI instead of BIOS. Nero has a setting to emulate the floppy disk up to 2.88MB when booting from the CD so unless you have more than 2.88M of files you should be good to go, but you do have to specify a disk image (which can be created with WinImage or other such software). HTH.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 6, by dhruba.bandopadhyay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I don't need MS-DOS 6.2 anymore since I found out that the best MS-DOS version was in Win98SE. So now am trying to build a MS-DOS 7.0 bootable CD & installation - BUT for games, not generic.

Here's what I found...

In Win98 \WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD folder contains the Emergency Boot Disk (without the msdos.sys & ebd.sys files for some reason). I extracted the 1.44MB bootable image from the Win98 CD-ROM just to do complete. This is only an Emergency Boot Disk and not tweaked for games. However it's got a good selectable menu system.

In the Win98 \WINDOWS\ there are two files called:

MS-DOS Mode for Games.pif (XMS loading for games)
MS-DOS Mode for Games with EMS and XMS Support.pif (emm386 emulates EMS in XMS)

When double-click either files, they temporarily swap C:\autoexec.bat & C:\config.sys with optimized versions of autoexec.bat & config.sys for games. Why two different pairs of files? Some games were fussy whether emm386 was loaded and other games didn't like it.

So this is a very good idea to embed the differences in the EBD autoexec.bat & config.sys, since there's a choice menu system already programmed in the EBD autoexec & config.

Just needed to copy emm386.exe from C:\WINDOWS\ & also mscdex.exe (from ebd.cab). I also changed RAMDrive to load 16MB (instead of 2MB). Tested CD and it boots perfectly, so user can boot a PC with no harddisk and still run programs that require writing to disk. If the user has a DOS sound card then he can add the drivers to autoexec & config files.

What I want to know is how to install this MS-DOS into a blank C:\ ? Does msdos.sys & io.sys files have to be in the first sector/cluster of the HD? I don't think copying the files directly onto the HD would work?

Attachments

• Filename
    Arnes Boot Record2.img.txt
    File size
    1.41 MiB
    Downloads
    6462 downloads
    File comment
    Modified Win98SE bootable image for games...
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doing a "SYS C:" from a bootable MS-DOS floppy transferrs command.com,IO.SYS, and MSDOS.SYS to your hard drive and makes it bootable.

IIRC, 98 DOS isn't "perfect". You cannot run WIndows 3.1 without some 3rd party hack I believe.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline