VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kattefisk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've looked through the forum, but haven't found anything that is very similar to my case, so i'll try to ask. If this has been asked before I'm really sorry.

I have just installed a couple of old games: Doom, Doom 2, Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D.

There seems to be a problem with running most of these games with sound.
Duke Nukem: works fine. No problems at all.. music works, soundFX works.
Doom and Doom 2: The soundFX works, but if i don't turn the volume down to the bottom in the options menu the game lags every time it tries to make a sound. So if i shoot the game starts to lag, if i pick up something it starts to lag, etc. And i can't get the music to work either.
Shadow Warrior: Sound works, but same problem as Doom & Doom 2. If i pause the game the sound is ok untill i return to the game. No Music here either.

Computer specs in profile.

I really hope if anyone here could help me, I would appreciate it 😀.

Reply 3 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by kattefisk I have just installed a couple of old games: Doom, Doom 2, Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D.

Err...that's four, not two.

There seems to be a problem with running most of these games with sound.

It's a "PopF" problem. Other NT OS's require that you process the game with a tool like "CLI2Nop", XP has a work-around for this, allowing you to run the game without reducing it's stability.

Like Snover said, use a Win9x/NT port of DOOM for DOOM I & II. There's a number of them at: http://doomworld.com/ports/windows.shtml

Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior have no source ports, so you have to just tweak them as best you can. Tips for them and other BUILD games at:
showthread.php?threadid=726#post=10183