VOGONS

Common searches

Retro Remake.... releasing classics as open-source...

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by dhruba.bandopadhyay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was just reading about the retro remakes. A lot of them are very good and that's because of the company releasing the source code as open-source.

But there are still many old games that are still kept closed-source. Many classics I really want to see open-source are:

- Blood (currently owned/bought by Atari)
- Carmageddon (similar confusion about who owns rights)
- Die By the Sword
- Alone In The Dark
- Dark Seed
- Bioforge

If the companies released their old games as open-source then it will be beneficial & educational to everyone. The games will indeed get a revamp in it's game and graphics engine. There's nothing more original than the original games that started it all (and inspired most of today's PC & console games). Massive benefits of open-source (educational, company can get ideas from the open-source community on WHAT gamers really
want to see/play, etc.)

That totally sucks, on maxpayne website, it says Windows XP is not supported. So we buy a game, play it, then new Windows come out and that game won't run anymore. It's like Prey, Duke Nukem Forever and ( put your fave game here ) will not work next year. Emulation is good but only for 2D or basic 3D games. Hardcore assembly software 3D games run terribly under a DOS emulator. And VDMSound (Sound Blaster emulator) runs terribly under XP SP2 and will not work under 64-bit Windows. Point is, we buy a game today, don't expect it to run on our new PC & new windows next year. Try running Max Payne under VMWare - that'll be sight for sore eyes.

We should start petitions for our favourate past time games stating:

- those games we paid for will not run on new PCs with new Windows (especially Max Payne)
- open-source will give developers new ideas on how end-user gamers like their games to be made, etc. hence develop better games that gamers will definitely buy

Like I said, old company is not losing anything from releasing a 10 year old game code, if that game is off the market and no sale made for 5 years. but they get to see bedroom programmers porting the game, updating the graphics & engine, and modifying the game to something the gamers like. Take for example Battlefield 1942. the SDK comes out. a group of bedroom programmers made the mod Desert Combat. it was one of the most popular mods & won GameSpy Mod of the Year 2004. Battlefield 1942 company bought those bedroom programmers to work for them on Battlefield 2.

Same goes for Counter-Strike. Need I say more?

Last edited by dhruba.bandopadhyay on 2006-10-03, 10:29. Edited 4 times in total.

Please sign the Blood source code release petition

Reply 2 of 4, by dhruba.bandopadhyay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope Blood source code is still definitely closed-source. There was partial alpha code which I think is used in Blood32 w/ Duke3D code (http://sf.net/projects/blood32/) but it's very very primitive.

That's the thing about these games when another company buys the license. I emailed SCI enquiring about Carmageddon, but they said another company owns the code. So I emailed the other company and they told me SCI owned the code.

And same story goes for Blood. Original company was MonoLith (aka Lith). But Atari owns the code now. Whenever we contact either company, they say the "other" company owns the code....

Please sign the Blood source code release petition