VOGONS

Common searches

Wings of Glory

Topic actions

First post, by schaetzle73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to use this for a question that has little to do with Dosbox, however has a lot to do with DOS and indirectly I think with Dosbox.

My machine: Pentium 3, 600 Mhz. Sound Card: Creative Audigy Player with drivers full supporting DOS. Operating system: Windows 98.

Games from Origin like Pacific Strike and Strike Commander run perfectly in Real DOS Mode with sounds, music and digital speech.
I have a problem however with "Wings of Glory" which runs perfectly in Dosbox 0.63 and 0.65 in other machine with Windows XP.
Wings of Glory I cannot make it run in Real DOS Mode of Windows 98.
It runs perfectly without sound, however when I activate the sound card it doesnt even start. I have tried all the possibilities and all the sound cards available in the "install.exe" of the game, everything to no avail.
Then, as other games of the same developer run perfectly, why this doesnt? Furthermore, Strike Commander is older than Wings of Glory.
Could be that the combination of 600 MHz of my processor and the Audigy Player make the game unplayable? Has the speed of the processor something to do with the drivers of the sound card? Really , this doubt is killing me, and I would like to know why this game does not run. I do not pretend to have it running since I can play it under Windows XP in other machine with Dosbox 0.63/ 0.65, but at least I would like to have a hint or explanation why this bloody game do not run in the conditions depicted above.
Thanks your help and congratulations again for DOSBOX.
If you do not want to treat this subject here please tell me and give me your mail address to follow it privately, provided that you are interested, of course.
Thank you very much again.

Reply 2 of 23, by schaetzle73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, understood. Now the post is in the right Forum, sorry for the mistake, I did not know there was a Forum for DOS games.
I hope to receive some answers now.

Reply 3 of 23, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Processor speed has an impact on some soundblaster routines.
Maybe you can try the game on an identically set-up computer
with a (much) weaker processor. If it works there, processor
speed might really be the issue here.

Reply 4 of 23, by schaetzle73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, WD.
That was what I suspected. But as my knowledge of the PC architecture is limited, I wanted to hear the opinion of somebody with much more experience, tahnk you again.

Reply 5 of 23, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

As i said i don't have any idea if it's the cause for this game. But as the
soundblaster requires some delay after port writes/sb resets you'll see
a lot of sb detection routines that look like
reset sb
loop 100 times
read acknowledge, if there -> sb present, otherwise failed

That works nice on cpus where the loop is long enough. That is 80486
and below...
There are different methods to check for sb presence that don't need
any fixed waiting construct.

Reply 6 of 23, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schaetzle73 wrote:

Thanks, WD.
That was what I suspected. But as my knowledge of the PC architecture is limited, I wanted to hear the opinion of somebody with much more experience, tahnk you again.

hmmm , since I can see Wings Of Glory is what I knew as Wings on Amiga, and well I searched on google for Wings Of Glory windows patch. And the only things I could find was a site where the patch called glory.exe and the description is this

From the wish list. Make planes fly like jets.

but since I think, the site I mentioned, isn´t that legal. Then I must give you the google search instead.

http://www.google.dk/search?hl=da&q=wings+of+ … =S%C3%B8g&meta=

check the first that pops up, if you are interested in it. And perhaps you will find a windows patch. Somewhere else. Because of my search.

Reply 7 of 23, by schaetzle73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WD: Forgot to tell you that I tried the game with the same settings in a Pentium 1; 200 MHz and the game runs perfectly. But that was time ago in a far land in Southamerica. At that time it worked, so I was wondering about the difference and came to the conclusion that the answer should lay in the difference of power of the processors. Curiously enough, other games and older than Wings of Glory like Pacific Strike and Strike Commander run perfectly well in a Pentium 1; 200 MHz and in a Pentium 3; 600 MHz. Wings of Glory is newer and should run even easier, but paradoxes are common in the PC environment.

Reply 8 of 23, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

schaetzle73: Then you maybe should find a slowdown program, if it would work there perhaps ? since I think we need an expert in here, since I am no expert in the field of that. But I just hope some of my postings will help a little 😀

Reply 12 of 23, by schaetzle73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again.
I tried moslo as slowdown program.
Situation as follows:

Scenario A:

Emm386.exe active
Soundcard Audigy Player not active
moslo not active
Wings of Glory runs OK, however and logically without sound.

Scenario B:

Emm386.exe active
Soundcard Audigy Player not active
moslo active at 25% of normal speed
Wings of Glory runs OK, however and logically without sound.

Scenario C:

Emm386.exe active
Soundcard Audigy Player active
moslo active at 25% of nortmal speed
Wings of Glory does not run.

Scenario D:

Emm386.exe active
Soundcard Audigy Player active
moslo not active
Wings of Glory does not run.

Conclusion: The speed of the procesor has nothing to do in this case.
I think there is an incompatibility between the Game and the Audigy Player.
Furthermore, the Audigy Player needs imperatively the emm386.exe to run in DOS, and the emm386.exe may have a conflict with the Jemm.ovy which seems to be a memory administrator insíde the game. Without the emm386.exe the game runs also OK, withouth sound however, because the drivers of the sound card need the emm386.exe to load.

Any ideas? My science has arrived unfortunately to an end which looks not possible to trespass.

Thanks.

Reply 15 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whoah, a P3 without an ISA slot? That's pretty weird. I guess you can get a PCI SB16.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 23, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
schaetzle73 wrote:

How do you install an ISA card in the motherboard of a P3? It does not have an ISA slot.

With a big hammer? 😁

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 17 of 23, by schaetzle73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dosfreak:

I will not need a big hammer as Minimax says, because I DO HAVE an ISA slot. I did not realize it at the beginning.
So, do you think that if I get a soundblaster ISA, the game will run?
I would like to know that before I buy one.
Thanks.

Reply 18 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SB16 ISA doesn't require any drivers so you can easily get rid of EMM386.

Audigy DOS drivers require it because they use emulation (and are crappy).

I'm wondering how well an audigy and an SB16 ISA can coexist in the same PC tho....You may have some IRQ troubles that you'll have to manually sort out.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 23, by schaetzle73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dosfreak:

Do not worry, when I get the sb 16 I will take out the Audigy.
Only one doubt: You say that the sb 16 isa do not need any drivers? How you load the card in DOS then? Does DOS recognize it automatically? I have been looking the offers of sb 16 isa in EBay and most of them offer the card without the drivers. In the Creative Labs website the card is discontinued, so they do not give any further support, so you cannot get them there. Do you know any place where I can get the drivers?
Thanks