Common searches

CD Redirect!?

Topic actions

First post, by spasmaticus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to all fellow dos enthusiasts,
I had a quick question, but first I would like say that I have been running most of my games flawlessly with VDMsound and have been enjoying its use on and off for several years now. I just recently reinstalled Lands of Lore and Betrayal at Krondor and they are both working fine.
The last time I ran my older games I had copied the cd's straight to my hard drive so I wouldn't have to swap cd's whenever I wanted to play a different game. I copied the cd straight over so it wasn't an img or what not, so there was no virtual drive needed, but I did find a command line, somewhere online, that you placed after the "Dos command line" from the properties menu that would redirect the CD drive search to the folder on the hard drive. I have tried everywhere to find it again and was wondering if anyone could give me a hand?
I've done this before and know it's possible. I just haven't been able to find it and probably should have written it down in the first place, meh. Thank you for taking the time and checking out my post and for any help that you can give.

Attachments

• placement of comline.gif
    Filename
    placement of comline.gif
    File size
    34.36 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    This is where the command line was placed, just after .exe.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by spasmaticus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it's been more than a month and 170 views latter and I'm back and yet there has been no response. Are there any dos gurus who know the command line? It seemed to me to be a dos command. Oh well.

Reply 3 of 5, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe he means the "subst" command - substitutes a folder for a drive. The screenshot shows Lands of Lore which can easily be "cracked" like that. I used this method 10 years ago on my own computer. Just type subst x: c:\path where x: is the drive you want to make, and path being the path to the game. Do remember to set the game up to look at that drive.

Best way is to make a batch file which does the subt automatically.

Reply 4 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are similar utilities like FAKECD. I don't know if they still work nowadays. It's been a long time.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)