VOGONS

Common searches

Can't install Emergency Room. Please Help.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Gekisai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I'm trying to install this old "game" called Emergency Room from 1995 using DosBox.
I've mounted my disk drive and CD-rom drive correctly - I think...
When I try to install the game the install program says "CD speed check in progress. Please wait a moment."
However, the CD doesn't start spinning and nothing more happens.
I've even tried making an image of the CD and mounting it, but the same thing happens.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Peter.

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Suggestions? Don't "think" that you did the mounting correct. Prove it to us.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 10, by codemastaflex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aight, I saw your post yesterday and I had the same exact problem, until I tried this:

First, run the install program in dosbox. Make sure you set up your sound card while doing the install in dosbox. Test it and everything to make sure it works because you won't be able to change it later. When it works, go on to the CD-Rom test, where it locks up and doesn't run. Close DosBox.

Now go to run and type in cmd, and then run install.exe FROM THE COMMAND PROMPT. This step is important because if you just click on install.exe in windows, the install box automatically closes. When you run it, the hang up of not being able to resolve the sound card issue should be resolved because the sound blaster compatible device should be filled in already. Next, hit continue, where your CD-Rom drive should be tested. After that, you should get a dialouge saying that you've completed the installation of Emergency Room.

Finally, go into dosbox, mount your drives, and run ERI.exe and you should be golden.

Reply 6 of 10, by Gekisai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for replying.

I did what you said and there was no problems until I get to the installation part.
The sound works, but when I hit 'continue' the install program quits to the command prompt and I get a message saying 'Divide overflow'.

What does that mean?

Cheers.

Reply 7 of 10, by codemastaflex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lets see, open up properties for the install.bat (or is it exe I don't have the game copy with me at the moment) in windows and go to the screen that lets you decide what memory to access, make sure that you turn all of those to auto and uncheck the box that says disable (again, I have forgotten which of the memories that it actually is). Also, turn off any compatibilty options in windows as well. Try that and see if that changes anything.