VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

how do i extract them? i read there used in dos patches/updates... and the one i want to extract contains the dungeon keeper 2 update... windows doesnt like the setup .exe which leaves me with just opening the rtp file... i got the patch from file planet.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 1 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

rtp files are just data containing the bytes changed/added... they don't have the full file inside , unless a new one is added to the game... so unless u can get the rtp engine running, u are basically boned...

Reply 2 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

and how do i update my files with the updated info situated in the rtp file? how do i start the rtp engine? is there a windows xp compliant version? i just wanna update dungeon keeper 2 (which is a windows game) but the patcher is a 16 bit install file which aint gonna run... so i need a method of extracting/installing the rtp file.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 4 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

theres bound to be another method somewhere.... most old compression/encryption algorithms have already been reverse engineered and extractors have been released etc... why would one for this seemingly "popular" type of file go without any 3rd party support?

my website

Reply 5 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will rephrase it...
rtp files are not archives containing whole files inside.
they contain byte patches (similar to cracks)
so it is a little difficult and without a point to make a 3rd party software to handle these files. ur best shot is another pc.
maybe send it to me? I might be able to help you...

Reply 6 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

don't worry I think i have found a way 😁 and yea my last post was during a mantle block... i forgot you already said that 😁

i'm gonna install it in virtual pc then apply the patch and copy the files from it to my winXP...

my website

Reply 7 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

keropi - if I understand you correctly, then those RTP files are a kind of binary diff's that is applied to the unpatched / original files.

Why would it be difficult and without a point to make a program to read the RTP files, and convert them into a format that some other binary patchar can handle?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks very much zup the first link seems to have what i want 😁 i knew that somewhere out there there would be something of what i was after.... cause its like saying theres no need for winrar or 7-zip or anything cause winzip does the same thing (just different algorithm)

my website

Reply 11 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

none... it says the rtp file is invalid 😁 which is kind of a bummer 🙁 i used the following syntax from within the patch.exe folder.

patch E:\dungeon keeper 2 E:\dungeon keeper 2\patch.rtp
pause

but it reports the following error

error ept0009: Invalid patch file E:\dungeon keeper 2\patch.rtp

ive tried temporarily renaming my dungeon keeper 2 folder to be within the 8 character limit but it had zero effect.

edit: this is what the win32 gui patcher says...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PATCH Version 7.00 - RTPatch(R) Professional - Software Update System
DOS/16-bit Windows/32-bit Windows Edition
(C) Copyright Pocket Soft, Inc., 1991-2002. All Rights Reserved.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

error ept0009: Invalid Patch File 'E:\a\PATCH.RTP'

my website

Reply 13 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

or the executable doesn't like the .rtp. Mabye have to try a different ver of the executable.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its not that easy finding copies of RTPatcher... but ill look around for one and no it aint a corrupted patch... also i got that weird error when trying to run the 16-bit RTPatcher patch.exe file... so its a bug in my system relating to 16 bit stuff... and ive looked on the MS website and they only talk about replacing autoexec.nt and config.nt etc.... which aint helping as i got thos in there original unaltered forms.

my website

Reply 15 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the DK2 patch worked after i reinstalled windows -.-' so it seems that prior to reinstalling windows there indeed WAS a problem in my 16bit subsystem somewhere and had no clue as to where.

my website

Reply 16 of 17, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I downloaded an update for heroes of might & magic II. It uses rtpatch v. 4.00 for Windows. It was located on www.patches-scrolls.de, so you can download and get a patch.exe program.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 17 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Phantasmagoria 2 patch also uses rtpatch, too, but I don't know what version. ftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/patches/pc/p2dospat.exe.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers