VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ChaoticHarmony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my first post. Hello!

Em, anyway, now that I've gotten that out of the way, I was sorta hoping that someone here would be able to give me a hand.

I recently bought myself a second hand laptop - it's a pretty cool machine, an IBM thinkpad T30, with a 1.8Ghz processor. Only problem is that it's a little too modern to play some of the older games I wanted to get working. I set it up to multiboot into a DOS partition, and I have it booting up and everything, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting the sound to work.

According to the windows control panel, my sound card is an "Integrated Intel Audio". I can't find any DOS drivers for it, so I can't get sound working in DOS. The only thing I've tried is to add the line "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1" to autoexec.bat, but that didn't work and I've got no idea what to try next.

Has anybody come across this problem themselves? Is there maybe a tool out there to get DOS to think I've got a soundblaster or something? Any ideas or suggestions are appriciated...

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Options:

1. Install Windows 98SE and play DOS games in a command line window.

2. Try this: http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about3877.html

3. Get another soundcard.

4. Use DosBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by ChaoticHarmony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, thanks for the reply. So, as the four options:

3. Get another soundcard.

This is a relativly new laptop - I don't think I'd have a lot of luck finding an old laptop PCI SB card for it. Even if I did, I'd really rather not go down the route, since I'm primarily using it as a WinXP machine for programming.

4. Use DosBox.

DosBox is great, but there are a few games I want to play that it doesn't quite get right. I really want to see if I can get DOS running naturally on this first.

I've tried that, but for some reason I'm having the same problem - I've got sound in Windows, but not when I try to play Dos games.

2. Try this: http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about3877.html

I actually got pretty far with this, but eventually hit a dead end with a BIOS error that I couldn't resolve. So I guess that's not going to work either.

It looks like I'm going to have to give up on this idea, which is a real pity...

Reply 3 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
ChaoticHarmony wrote:

Is there maybe a tool out there to get DOS to think I've got a soundblaster or something?

No, but VIA has some recent motherboards with an on-board sound chip that with VIA's DOS-drivers, for VIA's motherboards, will make that on-board sound chip work with games that want a SoundBlaster card.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
ChaoticHarmony wrote:

4. Use DosBox.

DosBox is great, but there are a few games I want to play that it doesn't quite get right. I really want to see if I can get DOS running naturally on this first.

As in?? Which games?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 8, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried that, but for some reason I'm having the same problem - I've got sound in Windows, but not when I try to play Dos games.

I have the same thing, onboard Intel sound and Windows 98SE. From what I've read, 98 emulates DOS sound through the use of SBEMUL.SYS, which is in;

c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\SBEMUL.SYS

Also note that you will have to run the setup program for whatever game you want to play and configure the sound manually.

For the game Blood, I used the following settings;

Card Type: Soundblater Pro 2.0
Address: 0x220
Interupt: 5
8-bit DMA: 1
16-bit DMA 5

Other Soundblaster types seem to work as well, but they don't sound as good. For example, not all of them had separate left/right audio.

Music is set to General MIDI. I had to change the Windows MIDI settings in the Multimedia properties from SoundMAX to MS Wavetable Synth before it would play the music though.

Finally, if you have more than one CD/DVD drive, and the game plays CD audio, make sure that you have the CD in the drive that is set as the default drive for playing music. You can change this in the Multimedia properties in the control panel.

Reply 6 of 8, by ChaoticHarmony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had problems getting "Colonization" to work, "War Diary", and "I have no mouth and I must scream" too. Anyway, this isn't an attack on DosBox or anything, I've used it a lot - I just think it would be a lot cooler to have a proper dos partition working on my PC.