VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,

Is the a listing anywhere for the DOS or Windows games that either "just aren't going to run no matter what" or had 3Dfx support built into them and therefore won't work with Glidos or Glide wrappers? I'm referring to games that didn't get Direct3d support, so the only way to get acceleration is with a 3Dfx option.

Perhaps some of these are:

Whiplash 3d / Fatal Racing
Archimedian Dynasty
Pod
Extreme Assault
EF2000 v2 / 3Dfx

I've been getting out some old games and trying to determine which will be possible to get running, and which are going to need a genuine Voodoo1(or maybe 2) to work. I understand that some titles such as Whiplash and EF2000 may require someone to seriously re-write them before offering 3D accelerations usable on modern computers, so I'm not holding my breath.

One non-accelerated DOS game called Star Rangers (a Star Raiders clone) wouldn't run no matter what I tried, but seems useable in DOSBOX.

I've gotten a lot of surprisingly old stuff working with the aid of DOSBOX, VDMS, Glidos, a memory allocation utility (to hide some of my ram) or one of the other Glide wrappers. Many of the Glide wrapped games even run at 1600x1200, whether or not they ever supported that. Longbow2, F15, Sports Car GT, Grand Prix Legends, and many more are now running happily.

Now I'm just looking for some help to sort out which ones to give up on vs; which ones to keep trying with.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 3, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
crash. wrote:
Greetings, […]
Show full quote

Greetings,

Is the a listing anywhere for the DOS or Windows games that either "just aren't going to run no matter what" or had 3Dfx support built into them and therefore won't work with Glidos or Glide wrappers? I'm referring to games that didn't get Direct3d support, so the only way to get acceleration is with a 3Dfx option.

Perhaps some of these are:

Whiplash 3d / Fatal Racing
Archimedian Dynasty
Pod
Extreme Assault
EF2000 v2 / 3Dfx

Actually, I am thinking about them as well. Yet I'm surprised to see Archimedean Dynasty on the list. Doesn't the game use glide2x.ovl? Because if that's the case, then it may work with anything newer than Voodoo1.

Reply 2 of 3, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only thing I can tell you is that the 3Dfx version of Pod definitely works with Glide wrappers, so I know you can take it off the list.

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 3 of 3, by azumanga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 3Dfx patch for Extreme Assault definitely uses glide2x.ovl .
Officially supported chipsets: Voodoo 1, Voodoo Rush and Voodoo 2 (with patch 1.2.3).
I am not sure if the game works with any Glide-wrappers, though, as I have never tried that.

Edit:
Accoring to this thread Glidos does support Extreme Assault.