VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,

I am looking for the original 3dfx patch of Mechwarrior 2 to complement my Dos version of the game (1995), in order to be applied with my Orchid Righteous 3dfx card.

I have searched extensively on Google for the patch, including going to the patches-scrolls.de site, but it is nowhere to be found. I have also searched on Ebay for the original 3dfx CD-Rom version which came with the Orchid Righteous 3d card (back in the day), but my search has been unsuccessful.

I know about the Titanium version of the game which came later and it does have 3dfx support, however I am interested in running my Dos version with accelerated support, since my retro computer is a Pentium 90mhz (it would be very slow for the windows version), and also I would like to utilize the General Midi capability which exists in the Dos version.

I would very much appreciate if any of you could tell me where I can still get that patch, either by downloading it or paying a small fee for sending the CD-Rom Righteous 3d version.

Thanks so much!

Reply 1 of 6, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i think there is no 3DFX patch for the original DOS version. ive searched years ago for such patch, but never found one.
and if i remember correctly the OEM versions that came bundled with voodoo2 and ATI cards are all enhanced win95 versions (same as the titanium edition).

but maybe you find something useful on amazon.com ...

sysprofile.png

Reply 2 of 6, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for your response and the nice link for Amazon.com. Unfortunately those choices are not what I'm looking for, although the last selection shows a special version made by Diamond Monster 3d, but it is not available anymore.

I'm pretty sure there was a special version of Mechwarrior 2 that originally came bundled with the 3dfx card I got. I have the box and a picture in the back shows the contents included, as well as comparison pictures between the regular Dos version and the improved quality with the 3dfx one.

Also on different older forums on the net and by searching on Google I found many references of a big first patch (at least 50 megabytes) that was developed and released in late 1996 by either Diamond Monster 3d or/and Orchid Righteous 3d.

The patch (like the Descent 1 patch), accelerated and improved the game for 3dfx cards.

In any case, I appreciate your help very much, and I guess I'll have to settle playing the Titanium version with a more recent Windows 98 PC.

Take care!

Reply 4 of 6, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting. My Dos copy of the game also says it can be played in Windows 95 as well, but the game files are DOS related, and I myself am playing it through DOS.

However, it may be that your specific copy is windows only, since it is a later version.

I appreciate your input, and I will probably play through both versions to experience the differences.

Reply 5 of 6, by pjladyfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pianoman72,

There was never a patch released for the Mechwarrior 2 series that enabled 3DFX support for the non-OEM (read: retail) versions of the game. However, there were specific OEM versions created that were included with the following cards:

Diamond Multimedia Monster 3D
Orchid Righteous 3D

There were also other non-3DFX cards that received special 3D-enabled versions but the 3DFX version is considered by most, myself included, to be the best version ever released. Your only chance really to locate one of these versions is Ebay since they were never sold as stand-alone titles.

Details about this, and the Mechwarrior 2 series in general, may be located here:

http://www.geocities.com/k_lupinsky/3Dfx.htm

Reply 6 of 6, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you pjladyfox, your help is very much appreciated. Unfortunately I already purchased the Titanium edition, and I am satisfied with that for the moment, even though it does not contain MIDI files, like my DOS version.

Happy holidays to you and to everyone on this forum!