VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 30, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strange. That shouldn't be happening with DOS6. Like, period. It happened in a DOS shell of Win9x because of some weird file operations it uses, or at least, that's what I assumed. If it isn't working in DOS6, there might be a more serious problem.
Keep at it.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 21 of 30, by Takara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmmm... it gets more and more peculiar!

Installed Win95 on another Virtual PC. Now I have BASS running within Win95 except the intro doesn't seem to want to run and I have no speech... but it does seem to actually play, just have to remember to turn text on 😀

I tried restarting into MSDOS and running it from there, but it just crashes (ie, blanks screen and does nothing till I restart it)

Seems odd that on my DOS 6.22 machine I can hear the speech on the intro but it randomly crashes, yet in 95 it will play just no speech.

Ah the joys of playing with things I have very little knowledge of! 😀 One day this will all make sense and I'll just be able to make all these old games run for people when they ask! 😀

I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions on making the speech work in Win95? 😀

Thanks,
Takara.

Reply 24 of 30, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That makes zero sense. Oy, what a mess. The behaviour I experienced on my Win98SE laptop, and what the behaviour should be assumed to be, is that it error'd within Windows, but ran fine in pure DOS. I'm not sure what in the hell could be happening for the reverse to occur. Maybe bad DOS drivers for your sound card, or a misconfiguration within the BASS sound program (is there one, I can't remember)?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 25 of 30, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know about the CD version, but the floppy version frustratingly autodetects your hardware instead of letting you manually tell it what to use.

It is quite possible that VirtualPC is emulating a PCI sound card that doesn't have DOS support without drivers. On the other hand I doubt that it would under Win95 either unless he downloaded and installed Win95 drivers for it.

Reply 26 of 30, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah yes, my wires are getting crossed, my brain decided to ignore the 'VirtualPC' part. I'm not sure what kind of audio support if any VPC has for pure DOS emulated boxen.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 27 of 30, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover That makes zero sense. Oy, what a mess.

Precisely. Crashes in DOS, crashes at the DOS-level of Win95, works in Win95. BTW, it needs no DOS drivers, just the "SET BLASTER" settings.

Originally posted by HunterZ I don't know about the CD version, but the floppy version frustratingly autodetects your hardware instead of letting you manually tell it what to use.

CD version also auto-detects (mine is a "Slash" re-release), but allows you to manually override the settings before it saves the configuration. That is what I had to do, locked up on intro otherwise...

It is quite possible that VirtualPC is emulating a PCI sound card that doesn't have DOS support without drivers. On the other hand I doubt that it would under Win95 either unless he downloaded and installed Win95 drivers for it.

Nope, according to the Connectix people, it's the oldest and most basic ISA SB16. They wanted it that way for maximum compatibility and ease of support. No DOS drivers needed, and Win95B automatically installs it's own SB16 drivers.

Originally posted by Snover I'm not sure what kind of audio support if any VPC has for pure DOS emulated boxen.

That would be the "crummy" kind of support. Works properly for some, not for others. Trying to use DOS SB16 generally causes it to lock-up.

Now for the fun part. BASS runs fine in Win95B...right up to the point where it crashes with a blue-screen. It's not consistent (seems quite random), and setting "hide from Windows", or "protect memory" don't seem to help.

Reply 29 of 30, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Ender Well, the latest CVS/Daily Builds of ScummVM should at least play the intro fine

We know about this...stop teasing us. We still can't actually play it...

Work is progressing

BTW, I tried the one of the Win32 DailyBuild's and it refused to "see" my BASS install.

Reply 30 of 30, by Takara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It works! 😁

For some reason I'd forgotten to tell setup the actual values for the soundblaster. When I took it off auto-detect and gave it the real values, suddenly I have sound effexts too! 😀

So, just to be different, I have BASS running under Win95 with music and speech 😁 YAY! 😁

Thank you all for the help, I now have a very happy friend... now to get it running on his machine instead of mine 😀

Takara.