VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd appreciate some help in getting these old DOS games to work under Windows XP. The main problem is that they're to new to work at playable speed with DOSBox, as they required Pentium computers at the time, but I couldn't run them either directly from XP nor using VDSMSound. They both exit with the same error message:

INTERRUPT 0DH, GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT possible illegal address
errorcode=0000

(followed by technical data)

I imagine the proble is either VESA support or the ammount of memory available.

Any ideas to get these working?

Reply 4 of 8, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, that's true, at least according to what I've heard. The problem is that in both emulators a pain it can get tricky to share files between your computer and the virtual machine if you've only installed plain DOS.

I still have a disk with CD-ROM drivers for DOS, and I use to create ISO files with the progrmas I want to transfer. For some reason, those drivers work fine with VMWAre, but so far I've been unable to get CD-ROM support under Virtual PC.

Which means that even if I get a working SB16 with Virtual PC, I can't transfer the games I want to test.

Reply 5 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VPC has DOS additions wich allow sharing to the host but I've always found it buggy and slow. Easier to just boot into Win98 or mount the .vhd with Winimage.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 8, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, many thanks to both of you: I finally got the whole thing working. 😏

It wasn't easy, though, as I kept having trouble enabling CD-ROM and folder sharing to Virtual PC. It turns out you have to use a floppy image included with the program, and of course I wouldn't know and kept trying to use the ISO version intended for Windows setups, which I couldn't get access to 😊

Anyway, it took me a while, but I finally got my DOS partition working, and I even found UniVBE and UFO (a great file manager for DOS, similar to Norton Commander) around on the net, which were very helpful.

Both games work fine and in SVGA, and the speed is pretty good, if not exactly as good as in my old DOS setup.

Thank you both for your help.

Reply 8 of 8, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the wat, editing the virtual partition with WinImage wouldn't help much, as soon as you try to add anything bigger than a couple of megs it complains there's no enough space available.