VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gavin77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Just wanted to mention something I found out today.

In the DOS Box FAQ, it mentions -

NOTE: If you have problems with launching the game, unrecognizable errors being spit out, saving settings, or having the game drop out while running it, one thing to try is to make sure all the files are not set to Read Only. In Windows, select the folder of the game, right click and hit properties, uncheck Read Only if it is checked, and apply to all subfolders.

The problem is that the microsoft OS XP and after, folders are set to read only as a feature. And this cannot be changed through the windows GUI.

The Microsoft knowledge base article explains this -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

My game of A-Train was not letting me load save games, or make new save games. By taking off the read only attrib of the folder by the process described in the KB article, the game worked fine.

Note that with most windows programs, having read only attrib set on folders affects nothing. Read only on files is normally the only thing which can cause problems. But, it looks like older DOS programs do have trouble with read only on folders. From the KB article - Some programs may display error messages when you try to save files to a folder with the Read-only or System attribute. As a result, these programs may not be able to save files to the folder.

I think it would be good if this info was included in the official FAQ.

Gavin

Reply 1 of 1, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Thanks Gavin.

Note to self: The Newbie's Pictorial Guide To DOSBox @ The Newbie's Pictorial Guide To DOSBox

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions