VOGONS

Common searches

Lands of Lore won't work - i'm at my wit's end

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by r0gl0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded the full cd rip of Lands of Lore off Home of the Underdogs. Following the instructions attached, i moved a file called VWWSD.386 to Windows/systems and added a few lines to the system.ini file. The program still didn't work, regardless of how i set compatibility and patches and all that lot. So anyways, i turned to Dosbox and after a quick crash course i got it running, but it showed up an error message straight away tell me to insert the cd with a file called introvoc.pak on it. Using my uber google savvy i found this file on the internet, stuck it in my lands of lore folder and it was working again. Until...

After the character selection screen, it tells me that it has encountered some kind of 'cannot find removing drive' error. I am all out of ideas, i tells ya. I'm using Dosbox 0.65, the cd rip from HOTU, and a standard sort of computer (windows xp, 1.5 gig ram, 2.65 gigahurtz). I've tried three different patches (the us cd patch, a couple of the other more recent ones). I have searched every Lands of Lore topic on this website and none of them seem to have had this exact problem. Nothing will work!

This game is a fond memory from my earlier childhood and your help and immense communal expertise would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

They were the best of times... they were the BLURST of times?

Reply 2 of 3, by r0gl0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that's a bit unfair, considering they don't sell this anywhere. If it wasn't legal, HOTU wouldn't have it for download because Westwood would have complained. Clearly westwood doesn't want it anymore so it is public domain, is it not? Besides, i actually did own it in the past, but the disc has been missing for many a year. So in response to that;
a) i already bought it
b) it belongs to society now

so yeah. Does anyone else have any help? i've already read the readmes and theres no help as far as i can see.

They were the best of times... they were the BLURST of times?