VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by d2king10

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, so i got daggerfall and i installed it. I got the sound working and all but when i run it, after aobut 2 min. in the game it crashes out. I am using XP!!:( and i have an old win. 95 but i cant seem to install on that so im stuck with the XP. I have read many posts about problems and things with XP and old dos games but i have also read that it is possible to play them. So my question it, how can i get dos games to not close after afew min. in the game. Thanks.(this problem has happened with System Shock and Daggerfall) Please help!

Reply 1 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, Daggerfall. You didn't give much info. Did you install the patch? Are you using VDMSound?

Daggerfall has all sorts of problems. It doesn't crash much for me, but the walking is really slow and jumping and climbing are messed up unless I use a slowdown utility. Bethesda denied the problem and now it's wayyy too old to fix.

Reply 5 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by d2king10 yes, i have the patch installed and im not using VDMsound because when i try to use it i always get these errors.

Are you referring to the rather huge (43 Meg) dagnt5x.zip patch as mentioned
here?

Reply 7 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You really are going to make it harder on yourself by not using VDMsound. At best, you'll get poor sound and music quality, and you may experience more lockups and crashes as a result of WinXP's poorer sound emulation.

Reply 9 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by d2king10 Im using Soundfx, and from the few minuetes of playing, it sounds great.

Remember that SoundFX is more of a wrapper than an audio emulator. Since it's getting audio out and VDMSound isn't, I'm highly suspicous that you've got some software that's allowing direct hardware access (a no-no in XP).

Try this: Download Ms. Pac-Em from this thread:
attachment.php?postid=11416

Use either installer and run MSPACEM.EXE with and without VDMSound. Without should give you poor audio and (probably) no music when starting the game. With VDMSound should give you good quality sound effects and music.
MSPACEM.EXE

BTW, the XP patch didnt work.

Well that huge file never really was an official patch, so no surprise there...but you still might want to read the last 2 posts by HunterZ in this thread:
showthread.php?threadid=753&pagenumber=2

...need a Dos boot up disk? If so where can i find one?

If you used a DOS disk, you couldn't use VDMSound. You might be able to run it from a DOS or Win9x boot disk...of course you never gave us your system specs as requested in the Posting Guidelines, so that is pure guesswork.