Common searches

Queen The eYe

Topic actions

First post, by Nightjar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know or has anyone ever got this game to work
I just got it off ebay & always wanted to play it but stumped at the last hurdle
Many thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You need to first touch your forehead, then your nose, your left kneecap, your right hip, and finally stick one finger in your left ear.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Nightjar wrote:

Does that mean that im screwed?

No. It means, that based on the information you provided, that was the most likely answer I could come up with.

Read my signature, and read the pages I link to.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 14, by Nightjar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You will have to forgive my noob'ish
My PC a fairly recent
XP Pro SP2 P4 3.2G 3GB RAM 600GB HD ATI Graphics card
If someone could talk me through how to get this to work I would be forever in your debt
I have to see this game running
Many thanks

Reply 9 of 14, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll give you the steps, and you can look them up - the Dosbox readme will explain it all in detail if you put some effort into it.

a) there's several CDs. The best way to make this work (since the game has audio music which makes up a large part of the game) is to make CD images of every CD. Make sure to make BIN/CUE files, NOT ISO files! ISO files don't contain music data, just plain data so you'd lose audio music. There's plenty of software on the internet (including Nero) which will allow you to do this.

b) after you created the images, you should use IMGMOUNT to mount the images inside Dosbox. Use a command like this:

imgmount d "C:/My ISOs/EyeCD1.cue" "C:/My ISOs/EyeCD2.cue" "C:/My ISOs/EyeCD3.cue" "C:/My ISOs/EyeCD4.cue" "C:/My ISOs/EyeCD5.cue" -t ISO

The location and name of the images will probably be different for you so change that accordingly. Then, you can use CTRL + F4 to switch between images inside of Dosbox. Go to the D drive by typing d:, then install the game and that's it - if the game asks for the next CD, use the CTRL F4 swap.

Reply 10 of 14, by mr_nutt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hay guys i got the game working but the sound is awful on some parts like that video when you start the game is the games sound bad or is there a way to fix this. oh and i almost forgot its not really bad in the game its self (or in that introduction to the arena domain)

Reply 11 of 14, by siemsiem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

run setsound.bat and select 'Soundblaster PRO' for music and sound

Since it is quite hard to get this game running, but I've spend 6 years trying to get it, I made the following instructions on how to get Queen: The Eye up and running on XP.

1. mount the first disc

2. run setup.exe

3. copy 'SETSOUND.BAT' to your install folder
(a strange step but it worked for me)

4. (install and) run dosbox

5. mount the drive where you installed the game as the same drive in dosbox
(so if you installed to d:\games\queen type 'mount d d:\')
This is important because if the path is different the game will come up with this error:
[ Couldn't open File 'D:\EYE.EXE\arena\aren\3dsdata\aren.cp' ]

6. map the cd-rom to the mounted cd drive by typing 'mount e h:\ -t cdrom' (if h is your virtual drive)

7. run setsound.bat and select 'Soundblaster PRO' for music and sound

8. run EYE.EXE

Additionally, you can add your startup lines to 'dosbox.conf' so you don't have to keep typing them.
There's an autoexec.bat section at the bottom of the file. Mine says:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

mount d d:\
mount e h:\ -t cdrom
d:
cd games
cd queent~1
eye.exe

Enjoy!

Reply 12 of 14, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I personally don't like pointing to a real CD drive if it involves multiple CDs - it doesn't always work. I think it's due to the label not changing along with the CDs mounted so some games which look at the label to determine the CD (Under a Killing Moon for example) might not work.

Also, swapping CDs is a big pain - like I said, you're still better off making bin/cue files. Loading will be faster and swapping is just a case of pressing CTRL F4.

Reply 13 of 14, by siemsiem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dunno what you are talking about mate 😖
Swapping cd's with any mounting program is just a matter of selecting the cd and clicking 'ok'. Works fine for me.

Kinda weird how the game erases all Arena files when you finished it, and then copies all The Works files to the disc 😀

Reply 14 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Swapping cd's with any mounting program is just a matter of selecting the cd and clicking 'ok'. Works fine for me"

PITA when you have 300+ images on an external drive.

Easier to copied the images to the DosBox directory, add the imgmount command in the [autoexec] section in DosBox.conf and just hit CTRL+F4 when you need to switch..

That's what he's talking about.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline