VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Soniclen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To anyone who can help:

I need help with System Shock 1 on Cd rom.
IT crashes when I try to start a game on Win 98, but it will work fine on Dos (without any sound!!!!) but this defaults to the floppy version (also on cd rom version).

I know you guys have posted info re:SS1 but none of that seems to help.

I think I can get it to work on DOS if I can get the right CD rom drivers and PCI 128 SB DOS drivers .

I have PIII 566MHz, 320 MB SD Ram, 32MB TNT2 Riva, PCI 128 SB card, 48x CD Rom.

I GOTTA GET THIS GAME TO WORK NO MATTER WHAT!!! SO HELP ME!!!!!!!!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAASSE!!!

Reply 1 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Soniclen I need help with System Shock 1 on Cd rom.

Try using the Quick Search at the top right of the page before you post.

IT crashes when I try to start a game on Win 98, but it will work fine on Dos (without any sound!!!!) but this defaults to the floppy version (also on cd rom version). I know you guys have posted info re:SS1 but none of that seems to help.

That thread was about running System Shock on XP. Very different from running it in DOS/Win98. BTW, have you read the post about it in the Problem Child thread? (the last post in the thread):
showthread.php?threadid=726&postid=10375

I think I can get it to work on DOS if I can get the right CD rom drivers and PCI 128 SB DOS drivers.

They should be on your original driver CD.

I GOTTA GET THIS GAME TO WORK NO MATTER WHAT!!! SO HELP ME!!!!!!!!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAASSE!!!

Please refrain from SCREAMING LIKE THIS!! It's really annoying.

Reply 2 of 16, by Soniclen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have the original CD disk, so I'll go to creative website, see what they've got. CD rom driver on disk by Hewlett packard, and it's one of those 'recovery disks'. Can't pull individual drivers off it (or at least I don't know how to).

I had already looked at Problem Child when I sent the original message, so unfortunately none of that worked.

Do you know of any command in DOS (or win) where you can check the compatability/working order of both your CD Rom and Soundcard? If I can get these to work then it rules driver issue out, and i'll have to try soemthing else.

Sorry about screaming, and thanks for your help so far.

Reply 3 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Soniclen I don't have the original CD disk, so I'll go to creative website,...

Ugh...not good. Am I understanding you correctly that this is an "onboard" audio chipset instead of a plug-in card? If so, I have to give you fair warning that it will probably be a constant pain (not very compatible).

I had already looked at Problem Child when I sent the original message, so unfortunately none of that worked.

Unfortunate. Makes matters worse that Creative doesn't have DOS drivers for the PCI 128 for download.

Try going here:
http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/~sivann/software.php
Scroll down to "DOS drivers for SoundBlaster PC128 cards" and try following his directions. Pay special attention to his BIOS instruction. Note that this is a "hack". It wasn't really meant to work like this. Good luck.

Do you know of any command in DOS (or win) where you can check the compatability/working order of both your CD Rom and Soundcard?

No, I know of no compatibility test for sound cards, but you can try running VGA Utils for your video card:

Try running these VgaUtils:
http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/51867.html
These test basic DOS graphic video modes.

You might also try running VBETEST.EXE from UniVBE v6.7:
http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/enterpris … ree_titles.html

It allows you to individually test SVGA video modes. When you start up VBETEST, it should come up with text like this:

OEM string: IBM SVGA BIOS, (C) 1993 International Business Machines Version: VBE 1.2 with 4096 Kb memory […]
Show full quote

OEM string: IBM SVGA BIOS, (C) 1993 International Business Machines
Version: VBE 1.2 with 4096 Kb memory

Select test to perform:

[0] - Interactive Tests
[Q] - Quit

You then select zero for Interactive tests:

Select color mode to test: […]
Show full quote

Select color mode to test:

[0] - 4 bits per pixel modes [3] - 16 bits per pixel modes
[1] - 8 bits per pixel modes [4] - 24 bits per pixel modes
[2] - 15 bits per pixel modes [5] - 32 bits per pixel modes
[6] - Text modes
[Q] - Quit

Then select 1 for 8 bits per pixel modes (it's also a good idea to test for 16 bits and 24 bits later):

Which 8 bit video mode to test: [0] - 640x400x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear […]
Show full quote

Which 8 bit video mode to test:

[0] - 640x400x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear
[1] - 640x480x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear
[2] - 800x600x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear
[3] - 1024x768x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear

Test modes like these to see what kind of response you get. The 640x480x8 mode is the most important as it's the most commonly used.

Reply 4 of 16, by Soniclen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

don't have problems with my video card. that's one thing I've found, at least with nVidia...that they make even the latest cards compatible with some of the oldest graphics (Secret of Monkey Island and Beneath a Steel Sky: 286 anyone?). It's everything else in Dos that I get problems with.

Have downloaded that thread, but no chance to try it yet. Do you or anyone else have any ideas?? I'd really appreciate it.

Reply 5 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Soniclen don't have problems with my video card. that's one thing I've found, at least with nVidia...that they make even the latest cards compatible with some of the oldest graphics...

This is true for Windows 9x, not quite as true for the NT versions of Windows.

Have downloaded that thread, but no chance to try it yet. Do you or anyone else have any ideas??

On the audio side of things, I'm afraid there's little to try...

As has been said previously, the SB PCI 128 apparently doesn't have "true" DOS support. I only know of the hack that I suggested earlier.

Reply 7 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Scarface Hi all Im a bit of a newb and I just bought sshock. And I have a question about the xp patch for sshock. how do I apply the patch?

Well, it's not really a patch, but a modified version of the game's executable.

Recommend following the "Problem Children" guide, "System Shock" is at the bottom of the list: showthread.php?s=&threadid=726

Remember, it doesn't eliminate the memory problem, just greatly increases the amount of time before it actually dies on you, so save often.

Reply 10 of 16, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just walked into this one while browsing, since I have no interest in the game at this time, but what I do have is a Creative PCI 128 driver CD, the Legacy drivers from which have served me valiantly in the past. If anyone's interested I'll package em up and make them available.

Reply 11 of 16, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That would be rather useful. Despite the card's, erhm, crappiness, lots of people seem to have it and Creative seems adminant on not serving up drivers for it, so yeah, hook the people up!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 16, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

K, I've uploaded the drivers I have here for any who want them, but please don't hammer it cos it's only a slow site. This is a combined set of the 9x and NT drivers, it should detect which to use automatically. Unfortunately the NT one doesn't bother with the Legacy stuff, so you might well end up having to do that trick thingy in any event. Kind of sucky.

One other thing - driverguide is a wonderful place. Check out this search result for all sorts of PCI128-related gubbins (and if it ever asks you for a password, the "member login" is drivers/all).

Reply 15 of 16, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, Snover's right, I'm evidently blathering. The NT install does put a start menu link to SBLegacy.exe there regardless, mind, which is a bit daft.

The dos drivers should be included in the zip file - I just packed up everything in the drivers dir together (tested them as well, as best I could, and it seemed to work fine). If anyone has any issues just let me know.

Reply 16 of 16, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to revive an old thread, but did anyone keep a copy of the file I uploaded mentioned above? I've lost the driver disc in the meantime and would appreciate a copy.

Thanks.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem