VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are there some way to play network dos games between dosbox and real dos ?

real ipx on dosbox:
No change on dos machines but need to install ipx protocol on XP, which add some problems and can't work with internet.
Can be possible for lan-parties but I think the 1st hour would be spend explicating how to set up ipx on xp and on dosbox.

udp tunnel under dos:
Nothing to change on XP and doxbox, can work with internet.
It needs a tsr which intercept ipx calls and redirect them throught a resident packet driver.
I think it is possible as I've already connected my 386sx to internet using arachne, it was slow to display pages but it worked.

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HAL9000 has a build of DosBox on his page that can communicate with host IPX. It's old and hasn't been updated in awhile tho.

Click on "DosBox CVS Builds" in my signature to go to his page.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by ariqu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bet that's quite an arrangement, as IPX packets are packeted in UDP packets currently. A TSR to decode them would just eat RAM and processor time on the non-DOSBox machine. If that patch got updated so it could forward IPX packets out directly(or for that matter, TCP packets...), it would work much better.

...Or, what about a compatibility IPX protocol for XP, so that older programs that still work in XP can detect and use IPX? With a tiny passthrough TSR that can run with or without DOSBox so programs that look for a resident protocol can actually find it and use it?

Reply 3 of 3, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was kali who did ipx tunneling over udp.
According to its history on Wikipedia it was designed to play doom and other ipx games over internet.

I tried the most recent dos version I found there on two dos pc (1 server, 1 client) and ran doom

Kali eats 80kB of memory on server and client side
add 35kB for nic driver (and for 1 pc 16k for LSL, 2k for ODIPKT)
and I was still able to play doom

Type win to loose the power of your computer !