VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, I was flipping through my CD case and decided to try Nemesis again. I've tried it about 2 times since my brother bought it for me at a garage sale 5 years ago or so. I know it isn't a very good game, but my brother bought it for me, there are a lot of pretty CDs (5), and I was feeling guilty for not giving it more of a chance. 😮

Unfortunately, it was made for DOS and I have Windows XP. I installed it (biggest install) with no problems. I then ran SETSOUND with VDMSound and set up the sound (SB16+General MIDI) and the sound test works.

When I tried to run NEMESIS.BAT with VDMSound and either MSCDEXNT (via enable low-level support in launchpad) or SAPUCDEX (via nemesis.bat), it wouldn't run. Each of the two methods had slightly different results though. At any rate, I was able to fix this problem by running the update patch that makes it behave better.

Now, my problem is that the game switches resolutions and then exits with no error. It's not supposed to close the window when it exits, so it might be that Windows is killing it or something. I tried running with or without "VESA support" checked, and the result was the same. This game just isn't a happy camper under XP. 🙁

Unfortunately DOSBox isn't an option either, as the game uses the DOS4GW extender.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ Okay, I was flipping through my CD case and decided to try Nemesis again.

From my notes during the last mass-test I performed:
Wizardry: NEMESIS

Had CD-ROM Access Issues + Video Issues. Mostly fixed by the following.

By placing NOLFB.COM in the NEMESIS.BAT file (My GF3 doesn't like the LFB mode it tries to use) and SAPUCDEX in the CONFIG. GUI (the MSCDEXNT doesn't cut it).

FM audio is terrible. tempo speeds up & slows down seemingly at random (OPL3 problem?...not sure).

Choose General MIDI at port 330 (must be entered manually).
SB16 detected, but horrible noise issues caused me to swap to SoundBlaster Pro (16-bit to 8Bit Stereo).

Flakey about "finding the CD", refused to see the game CD when in my DVD drive. Had other issues with that drive later...not sure if it really was the problem.

Reply 2 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, thanks. I searched the forum but couldn't find it (didn't want to dig through a couple of long threads on dialup 😜 )

It didn't make a difference whether I used MSCDEXNT or SAPUCDEX. They both didn't work until I installed the "patch" and then they both worked. Maybe I need some additional command line parameters for SAPUCDEX?

Sounds like NOLFB is what I need. Good thing I grabbed it at some point, for just such an occasion 😀 I'm using a GF2MX, which probably has the exact same VESA support as your GF3.

Lastly, I also noticed wacky speed with FM music in the sound setup program. General MIDI sounds fine though so I stuck with that.

[EDIT]Tried NOLFB and the game works. Like every other program I've tried, it was choppy until I quit, turned off full-screen ("VESA") mode and started it again. I really think that it screws up the idle sensitivity to start in full screen for whatever reason.

Had the same problem with SB16. It sort of screeches when the sirtech logo animation is playing. Reducing to SB Pro worked fine. The sound in the game is probably all 8-bit anyways.

Nemesis is better than I gave it credit for, but I think it was just trying to be a bigger, better Myst clone. Not really my type of game.

Last edited by HunterZ on 2003-04-27, 08:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ Ah, thanks. I searched the forum but couldn't find it...

Actually, I didn't post it here. Was part of a series of tests I did to update Vlad's Compatibility Database. However, that was right about the time sourceforge blew it up.

It didn't make a difference whether I used MSCDEXNT or SAPUCDEX. They both didn't work until I installed the "patch" and then they both worked. Maybe I need some additional command line parameters for SAPUCDEX?

Odd. Don't recall using the patch...I guess I must have... SAPUCDEX has no parameters AFAIK.

I'm using a GF2MX, which probably has the exact same VESA support as your GF3.

Maybe. The GF4 only appears to work at 640x480, whereas my GF3 will go up to at least 1600x1200. Odd, isn't it?

Tried NOLFB and the game works. Like every other program I've tried, it was choppy until I quit, turned off full-screen ("VESA") mode and started it again. I really think that it screws up the idle sensitivity to start in full screen for whatever reason.

Haven't had that problem. Try setting VDMSound to NOT use VESA/Full-screen by default. Very rare for me to need it.

IIRC, this was a lot easier to deal with than "Druid: Daemons Of The Mind". I remember that one the same way a drunk remembers a nasty hangover.

Reply 4 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As I said, I _did_ disable "VESA" and then the choppiness went away.

Also, I clearly remember reading in the SAPUCDEX thread that it supports all of the MSCDEX command-line parameters. Maybe I misread though 😜

Reply 5 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ As I said, I _did_ disable "VESA" and then the choppiness went away.

And as I did say: Try setting VDMSound to NOT use VESA/Full-screen by default. IOW, avoid using it in the future.

I have this DOS game "Semantics" and it won't run in XP...or on VOGONS either, apparently. *heh*

Also, I clearly remember reading in the SAPUCDEX thread that it supports all of the MSCDEX command-line parameters. Maybe I misread though

Ok, then SAPUCDEX has no parameters beyond those of MSCDEX AFAIK. You split hairs more than me...*heh*

Reply 6 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Originally posted by Mr. *heh*
And as I did say: Try setting VDMSound to NOT use VESA/Full-screen by default. IOW, avoid using it in the future.

Indeed I do avoid it. Apparently I just left it on from my attempts at getting it to work befire I tried NOLFB.

I have this DOS game "Semantics" and it won't run in XP...or on VOGONS either, apparently. *heh*
Ok, then SAPUCDEX has no parameters beyond those of MSCDEX AFAIK. You split hairs more than me...*heh*

Well my point was that I'm not using any parameters at all, except for:
lh sapucdex /v /e

And maybe more or different parameters would have got it working without the need for the patch.

Reply 7 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ Apparently I just left it on from my attempts at getting it to work befire I tried NOLFB.

Ah, understand now.

Well my point was that I'm not using any parameters at all, except for:
lh sapucdex /v /e

Interesting. I use no parameters at all (no /v, /e, or anything else). I was advised to simply plop down SAPUCDEX in the AUOEXEC.BAT box. Hrmm...

Reply 8 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most of the MSCDEX params were obsoleted by Windows NT's core, so most of them are not implemented. Read the SAPUCDEX thread to learn more, as I or someone else said something about this.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Most of the MSCDEX params were obsoleted by Windows NT's core, so most of them are not implemented.

But I though the whole point of SAPUCDEX was to be "more compatible" than the NT version of MSCDEX.

Presuming that to be true, I would think that would require it to support all the features of the most advanced DOS/Win9x version.

*grumble*

Not really in the mood to dig through all that again...

Reply 13 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover No no no, none of them are necessary, heh. Like, choosing the device.

So it's like I said, the code is in there for compatibility purposes, but we don't need to mess with parameters, right? Say yes...

Originally posted by Snover T'ch, who writes documentation anymore?

Yeah, we'll be like the old Linux guys: You can't figure it out?...then you're obviously not worthy to use it.

Reply 14 of 14, by Chandro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks, this is my first registered post so, erm...hi.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I had a problem with this game that isn't answered here. Forgive me if this isn't the right way to do and please let me know what I should have done instead.

Anyway, my problem.

I've followed the instructions and managed to get this running under XP, and with VDMSound but the mouse doesn't seem to work in game. On the options screen it runs fine but in the game it either moves unplayably slow or not at all.

Can anyone help me find a possible solution to this problem?

Many thanks.