VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can run the game with Windows XP through dgVoodoo and/or GliDos, but how do I get its audio to work? If I try to run chk3dfx.exe (the setup executable for the 3DFX version) or any other setup executable with GliDos, all I get is a Command Prompt window opening and closing immediately. Running setup.bat in DosBox, all I get is a black window (or black screen if I run DosBox in fullscreen). Is there anything else I can try?

Reply 1 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The biggest pain in Screamer Rally/Screamer 2 is using the setup program as it pops back to Windows to complain about accessing a COM port, so you have to ignore message then click on taskbar before the Setup program exits!

I have Screamer Rally and Screamer 2 running in high res 3Dfx (bit crashy) with perfect sound. My set up is as follows:

dgVoodoo 1.50 beta (consists of dgVoodooSetup.exe, Glide2x.dll and glide2x.ovl in the Screamer Rally install folder), DOS tab settings as follows:
Global tab:
Renderer API: Direct3D9
Display driver: Automatically selected
Screen mode: Full screen
Screen bi depth: 16 bit

Glide tab:
D3D texures bit depth: Optimal
Refresh rate:
NO tick: Monitor freq is the closest supported freq
Tick: Always wait for at least one vertical sync
Texturing options: Disable mipmapping
LFB access: Enable LFB access
Tick: Use hardware cache buffers when poss.
Tick: Use fastwrite for unmatching formats
Tick: Closer to a real hardware
Colorkeying method: Automatic
Texture mem size: 16384 kB
Resolution: 1280x960 (adjust as you like!)
Rest at default but I tick Use hardware vertex buffers too

Then comes VDMSound for the audio. You need to have the following settings applied to STRT3FX.EXE under Advanced...

DOS Environment > AUTOEXEC.BAT add line: sapucdex
Performance: Tick: Try to reduce CPU usage and drag bar to left (i.e. Low usage)

Rest on standard. As I say, actually choosing the soundcard/controls int eh Setup program (thru VDMSound as DOSBox doesn't like the Setup program) is the hardest bit!

Reply 2 of 10, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Installing VDMSound did not help. When I run setup.bat (or chk3dfx.exe) with VDMSound and ignore the messages about the COM port, all I get when I click back to the application is a black screen. If at this point I ALT-enter back to the desktop, the screen gets all screwed up. It's easier to show you what it looks like than describe it:

+------------------+-----------------+
| | |
| the whole desktop| |
| is in this | |
| little box | |
| | | <-physical screen border
| | |
| | |
+------------------+ |
| |
| this area is full of garbage |
| |
| |
+------------------------------------+

At this point, the only way to get back to a normal desktop is to reset.
I read in this forum that nVidia cards have difficulties in displaying low resolutions (like those needed by DOS games). I have an nVidia card, can THAT be the problem?

Since switching to an ATI card is out of the question for me (ATI cards do not support stereoscopy) I was thinking: where is the audio setup information stored? If you could attach the file that stores it, I may be able to run the game with sound without actually running the setup program!

Reply 3 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The drop-back-to-Windows-because-of-COM-error occurs with both ATI and Nvidia. I think it's the jump between DOS and full screen for the error that causes the setup program to work sometimes and crash others. Not personally had a screen of garbage myself!

If you like I could upload the config files from my game, you'd be forced to play it on keys but you should get audio then.

Reply 5 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, try unpacking the following files into the CONFIG folder in Screamer Rally's folder, overwriting current ones. You should have Soundblaster 16 support then.

Controls are keyboard:

left = left cursor
right = right cursor
accelerate = x
brake = z
gear up down I think is cursor up/down reversed (i.e. down shifts up)

I picked this layout from Sega PC port defaults like Daytona USA 🤣!

Attachments

• Filename
    PutInConfigFolder.zip
    File size
    822.01 KiB
    Downloads
    693 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Screamer 2 is a bit more painful to patch into 3Dfx mode but I have all the files on my Virgin White Label budget version if you need any.

I've attached the relevant setup files to this email.

Glad to be of help!

Attachments

• Filename
    Screamer2Configs.zip
    File size
    1.08 MiB
    Downloads
    963 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 10, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm bumping this topic because I got Screamer 2 and I can't install the 3DFX patch.
I installed the game with DosBox 0.72, but when I run Setup.exe, the DosBox window goes completely black (just like it happened with Screamer Rally). I downloaded VirtuaIceMan's Screamer2Configs.zip and unzipped it into the game directory, but if I try to run s2_3dfx.exe after that, it STILL says I need to run Setup.exe! Is there any solution?

Reply 10 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Erm not sure, not had to set it up for a while. I meant it was more painful as installing the 3Dfx and normal patches has to be done from the command line window. My Screamer2 is the White Label budget version that has the patches in a sub-folder on the CD.

I can have another look/reinstall go soon but have flu at the mo so not really up to it!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor