VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I got a craving for this old classic and fetched the full freeware version off the net, since it was more convenient than finding my cd.

I managed to get the sound configured and I got my Gravis Gamepad working as well, but whenever I click on either "Single/Two player game" or "Tournament game", the screen simply flickers and the game window closes without an error message.

I also tried running the game without VDMSound, which produced an identical result (although of course sound and the joystick weren't working to begin with).

Any ideas? I'm running the default configuration in the launchpad.

System info, if relevant:

Athlon XP 1900+ @ 1600
512 mb DDR RAM
Windows XP
GeForce 3 64 mb (Elsa Gladiac 920)

I'm using the integrated sound card on my motherboard, but that doesn't seem a likely issue, since sound works on the main screen without any glitches (not to mention working fine in XP).

I tried to search the forums for any previous threads on OMF, but couldn't find anything that fitted this issue.

Sincerely,
Tommi Lind

Reply 3 of 6, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Stability with this game is give and take. I can usually get in a match or two before a crash to desktop. Make sure that your sound card settings in the game match the configuration for VDMS, and select medium quality sound. Make sure to apply the update for VDMS 2.04.

Also, a new version of OMF is scheduled for release this June. Check out www.omf.com . I'm currently beta testing the game. I think you'll be pleased.

Reply 5 of 6, by Lacosta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I double-checked my settings, and they match those in VDMS. My sound quality was also set to medium (I tried it first at ultra-high, but that made the sound really buggy).

Guess I'll just have to try to tinker a bit more or buy an old 486 for a dos box... while waiting for the new version, should it turn out to be good.

Reply 6 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've noticed Epic Megagames' 486/66 and Pentium games don't work well at all on NT. Not entirely sure what they did to make their sound system work so poorly, but it just sucks, which is sad because it was a great engine (well, it used modules, which was a major plus).

Yes, it’s my fault.