VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by localhosed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought I would put together some information that might be useful for a Deep Thought post about some nvidia cards that can't run dos graphics in NTVDM because I found something that fixed my problem. All the research and work wasn't done by me and i'll give my sources here.

I bought an Nvidia Geforce 7600GS (PCI-E ASUS)recently.
Dosbox works great for most games, but for a few later 90's games, NTVDM is still faster. I found out that my video card, for reasons I don't completely understand couldn't make graphics using windows XP's NTVDM (for 'dos').

The computer would beep constantly and give a CPU error when I tried to run games like master of orion 2,tyrian,x-com, etc.

This post on vogons let me know what was happening, Thothie had an EVGA 7950GTKO and had the same problem I did :

All DOS Graphics Generate NTVDM CPU Error

Someone who I think is named Martin Sulak wrote a modified driver for windows XP (videoprt.sys). I don't completely understand the changes he made or the scope of this driver, but the hamster in the wheel that is my brain farted as I read his overview and downloaded the program here :

http://www.volny.cz/martin.sulak/

This post has a 'VGAtest.exe' utility that i used to confirm that all the video modes in the test work now with my card.

patch for WinXP/2000 monitor issues

Another fragment of research that someone else did, said that martin's driver should be installed in safe mode. I have only tested it installing in safe mode so that may or may not be true for people using this for the same purpose that I am.

If anybody wants to add more to this thread or rename it, please do. I want to try to have a fix available for people who run into this like I did.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good job! Nice to see someone actually searching forums to fix their problem. (It's rare, trust me.)

This will work with XP (32bit) but be aware that in 64bit versions of Windows this will not work because there is no NTVDM (NTVDM in 32bit versions of Windows offers 16bit support). (Microsoft decided not to include one like they did with the Alpha version of NT4).

Now if you are not planning on 64bit Windows and say want to use the 32bit Windows Vista there's another snag. If you use Windows Vista (WDDM) drivers instead of XP (XDDM) drivers in Windows Vista then you will not be able to play fullscreen DOS games (only console mode text games) because WDDM drivers do not allow access to INT10 which is required by most DOS games.

Solutios are:

Use XP video drivers in Vista (not recommended since you lost stability and Aero).

or

Use a program like solvbe or something similar to intercept INT10 to display tge graphics.

or

use an emulator like DosBox/VPC, etc.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good job!

Unfortunately, the link to videoprt.zip download isn't working for me, anyone?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)