VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jvieira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all. I have registered here to post this query, in hopes someone has ever found a solution. My problem relates to running XCOM Apoacalypse in XP with VDMSound (as opposed to running with DOSBOX. This problem is not related to VDMSound, just mentioning how I am working to play the game).

I have gotten the game to work flawlessly except for one problem, that being that the graphics palette apears corrupted. I found other people with the same problem on another forum, and here is a picture of what the main menu looks like with this problem:

http://imagegrotto.com/view-apocxc85311.jpg

th-apocxc85311th.jpg

For what it's worth, that poster had said he had a X1950 ATI card, and so do I. It appears that playing the game this way USED to work fine for many people, but recent, newer video cards and drivers have caused this problem to appear. The game appears to run and play completely normally apart from this. There is no graphic corruption itself, just the wrong color palette.

I want to point out first that I have spent a week or more already fully investigate, searching, and reading numerous forums and FAQS, and trying all the obvious things like forcing 640x480 @ 256 colors, etc. I have not found anything except the posts I mentioned at xcomufo.com, where someone else had the problem but never found a solution. As far as I can tell, this is a problem that has never been solved. Many people just play the game in DOSBOX, and I can't blame them if it works for them. But it simply does not work for me.

I spent a considerable amount of time configuring DOSBOX. It simply is not an option on my system. At best it's very slow and stuttery, and it locks up continuously. Like when going to the options screen and clicking "abandon and restart game", it will freeze up with the sound looping and cursor frozen. So playing with VDMSound in XP is a preferable solution to me.

I can't help but feel that this is an issue related simply to the palette. Either newer video cards store palette info in a different way, or location, or something along these lines.

One other note, when I do a ALT-P screenshot in the game, with these messed up colors, and then quit the game to look at the screenshots, they look NORMAL. I don't know if that helps to figure what the problem is. I found it odd. They come out looking normal even though it looks totally screwed up in the game.

I wonder if there are any technical minded people out there that would be willing to help try to determine what causes this and fix it. My limited programing knowledge leads me to believe it would just be a matter of forcing the correct color palette in some way. Like the SVGA patch that is out there for fixing video errors.. something that changes where the palette info is pointed to, or overwrites the palette with the proper one.

I can't help but think this is a problem that is going to continue into the future with other new cards running older games, and I'm sure that many people would be very grateful for any kind of fix. It seems to happen only on newer cards, as if they are not fully backwards compatiable somehow.

Please, if anyone can help, I would be eternally grateful.

Last edited by jvieira on 2007-05-07, 10:12. Edited 8 times in total.

Reply 3 of 35, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have XCOM APOC but:

1. Does the game use a UNIVBE driver?
2. Have you tried vgafix? (Wouldn't help with the above problem but need to know)
3. Have you tried solvbe?
4. Have you tried sticking another video card in your computer?
5. Have you tried running the game in XP safe mode? (When booted in safe mode XP uses a generic video driver that uses VESA).
6. Have you tried NOLFB?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 35, by jvieira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
I don't have XCOM APOC but: […]
Show full quote

I don't have XCOM APOC but:

1. Does the game use a UNIVBE driver?
2. Have you tried vgafix?
3. Have you tried solvbe?
4. Have you tried sticking another video card in your computer?
5. Have you tried running the game in XP safe mode? (When booted in safe mode XP uses a generic video driver that uses VESA).
6. Have you tried NOLFB?

1) I don't know the answer to that, can you tell me how to determine?

2) Yes, I have tried the VGA fix patch out there, it's supposed to be for computers that give an error about video on launch, but I tried it anyhow, and it made no difference.

3) I don't know what solvbe is, I'll have to look into it.

4) No, the only one I have handy is a damaged Geforce 4.

5) No, I haven't tried that, I'll give it a go.

6) I don't know what NOLFB is, I'll have to look into it.

thanks for your response.

Reply 5 of 35, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Look in your game directory for anything that say's UNIVBE.
2. Okay, it didn't have any adverse effects right? Everything is still functional?
3. Solvbe http://sol.gfxile.net/solvbe.html
4. Hmm, would be nice if that Geforce was working...
5. Definetly try this. Easy troubleshooting technique and all you have to do is reboot.
6. NOLFB NOLFB - Disables LFB enabling DOS games to fallback to VESA 1.2 modes
There's also NOLFBLIM that enables VSYNC but that's the only difference between the two.

Reply 6 of 35, by jvieira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
1. Look in your game directory for anything that say's UNIVBE. 2. Okay, it didn't have any adverse effects right? Everything is […]
Show full quote

1. Look in your game directory for anything that say's UNIVBE.
2. Okay, it didn't have any adverse effects right? Everything is still functional?
3. Solvbe http://sol.gfxile.net/solvbe.html
4. Hmm, would be nice if that Geforce was working...
5. Definetly try this. Easy troubleshooting technique and all you have to do is reboot.
6. NOLFB NOLFB - Disables LFB enabling DOS games to fallback to VESA 1.2 modes
There's also NOLFBLIM that enables VSYNC but that's the only difference between the two.

Nothing that says UNIVBE, and no adverse affects from that VGA patch (I have already reinstalled the game since then, and patched it again, and reinstalled a third time. It currently is not applied).

I tried SOLVB and NOLFB just now, and they both have no effect. I see the exact same color corruption 🙁 It was a good idea though, I was thinking that maybe some kind of video translation/driver thing to give better backwards compatibility would fix the issue.

I'm going to try the safe mode play next, but I wonder if VDMSound will work in safe mode.. I thought sound didn't normally work in safemode. But I'll give it a try.

Last edited by jvieira on 2007-05-07, 01:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 35, by jvieira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Isn't there a Windows version of this game?

No, they did release windows friendly versions of XCOM1 & 2 (Ufo Defense and Terror From the Deep). They are part of the collectors edition which I own. But the Apocalypse is the original DOS4GW version that ran in DOS and Win95/98.

I tried safe mode now and it's not working. I can't get it to load. For starters the VDMSound wouldn't load. Then I ended up disabling sound in the game, and running the game again, and I got the DOS4GW load screen, then nothing. It just sat there, and I had to close the task.

By the way, thank you for your help, I greately appreciate it.

Last edited by jvieira on 2007-05-07, 10:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 9 of 35, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You mentioned in your first post that DosBox would freeze and that sound would loop? Have you tried the game in DosBox with no sound configured? If it works this way with no freezes then it was likely a sound configuration problems. (DosBox uses IRQ7).

I just started rooting around through my hard drive and I actually do have the game! I'm copying it to my HD right now...

Reply 10 of 35, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an ATI x1900 card and am experiencing the same display problem with tomb raider and during the intro of jedi knight dark forces 2 (the part with the scrolling text). I also have another pc running an ati 9800 pro using the same driver version 7.4, and it works fine. It is annoying as hell to spend money on something and end up having problems, but that seems to be the way things are in the pc world.

Reply 11 of 35, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, just tried the game in Vista and there's no palette problem.

Vista Ultimate 32bit
Dell Latitude D510 Laptop
Video Driver version: 6.14.10.4764 (XDDM)
Intel 915GM video card
V1.0 of XCOM Apocalypse

Tried the game in DosBox 0.70 and it seems to work fine for the 3 minutes I played around with it. Setup.exe did not want to work so I just ran setup in Windows.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2007-05-07, 01:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 35, by jvieira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

You mentioned in your first post that DosBox would freeze and that sound would loop? Have you tried the game in DosBox with no sound configured? If it works this way with no freezes then it was likely a sound configuration problems. (DosBox uses IRQ7).

I just started rooting around through my hard drive and I actually do have the game! I'm copying it to my HD right now...

I have not tried it in DOSBOX with no sound. I did try in DOSBOX with SB standard IRQ 7 DMA 1, SB16 IRQ 7 DMA1, SB16 IRQ7 DMA5, and GUS 240 IRQ 3 DMA 2 (IIRC).

EDIT: I just disabled the games sound, and ran it in DOSBOX, and much to my shock and joy, it ran very very well, and would no longer lockup in the predictable places.

I then turned sound back on to standard Sound Blaster, IRQ7, DMA1, and ran the game again, and it was back to stuttering and sluggish as hell and locked up again in the same place it always does.

It's definately related to sound. I have an SB X-Fi XtremeGamer, for what it's worth. I wonder what I can do to figure out how to get that working properly..

EDIT2: tannerstevo: Thanks for your response. It does suck doesn't it? That a new card would have improper backwards compatability.. It's very frustrating.

Last edited by jvieira on 2007-05-07, 06:22. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 13 of 35, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/ … /15/257408.aspx

Seems it runs fine under Virtual PC via Windows 95. It's a bit of roundabout way to get it to run but as you have an older P4 CPU it may work better for you.

Reply 14 of 35, by jvieira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dh4rm4 wrote:

http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/ … /15/257408.aspx

Seems it runs fine under Virtual PC via Windows 95. It's a bit of roundabout way to get it to run but as you have an older P4 CPU it may work better for you.

I have been very close to trying the Virtual PC solution, just wasn't prepared for the work it would be, and that link tells me it's more work than I expected.

It's frustrating because I know people have run the game in XP with VDMSound without problem, and I can see that it runs great that way. Just the colors are all goofed up. I wish I could just fix that.. Or get it working in DOSBOX with sound properly.

Reply 15 of 35, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm, try all different versions of Soundblaster in that setup program.

Only use IRQ7 but switch between DMA 1 and 5 for each one.

Reply 16 of 35, by jvieira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I HAVE AN IDEA.

I notice that when I have sound enabled, the CD rom is spinning during play. For the first time, I noticed a connection.. when it was stuttery, the disc light was going.. I can see a correlation. I wonder if it could be related to that. I'm playing with the original CD in the drive, not an image mounted in a virtual drive or anything. I wonder if it could somehow be related, one thing I did read people talking about was different mounting options like using -ioctl switch.

Last edited by jvieira on 2007-05-07, 10:17. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 17 of 35, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, the problem with NTVDM is that there are so many variables.

When you run games full-screen in NTVDM it actually is directly accessing your video card. (Very dangerous since this can easily crash your computer). Unfortunately there are some instances where Windows will not allow full access to the hardware which is why the vgafix problem is needed. (It unlocks some of the ports needed).

As for your problem it looks like ATI has done something with their VESA implementation which is confirmed by tannerstevo who said it works on his 9800 and the fact that is works fine on this laptop with the 915GM chipset. heh. Both this chipset and the 9800 are pretty much from the same erra anyway....
I wonder if this game works on the 945GM chipset....I would try it but I only have Vista 64bit installed on the other laptop right now so I'll have to try it on another laptop at work tomorrow.

Reply 18 of 35, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have the CD just a cracked version so that may be why it ran fine with the sound enabled for me.

What happens if you press "O" and disable the music?

As soon as I enabled the music the game locked up.....

Reply 19 of 35, by jvieira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

I don't have the CD just a cracked version so that may be why it ran fine with the sound enabled for me.

What happens if you press "O" and disable the music?

I GOT IT WORKING IN DOSBOX!!

It WAS related to the CD mount.

I had to change my mount CD drive line to this:

mount d G:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl

And now it works! I set it for SB16, IRQ7, DMA5, and it actually runs pretty smoothly and is playable (and isn't locking up!).

Thank you so much for your help. I would still have prefered to get it working natively in XP, but this will be acceptable.

EDIT: In playing with it, its still not great performance, but it is playable, and it no longer locks up. I do still hope that one day a solution can be found to the above issues, but in the mean time, this will suffice.

Last edited by jvieira on 2007-05-07, 10:19. Edited 2 times in total.