VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by max1961

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can get Screamer to run in dosbox 0.70 fine with keyboard, but I want to run it with a wheel which requires setup.exe. This program hangs in dosbox 0.70 (and the previous version, too). Any ideas?

Note that I can run setup.exe in WinXP fine, but it then doesn't find my USB wheel.

Reply 1 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am afraid that is impossible.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 15, by max1961

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Try setting core=normal in dosbox.conf, use loadfix before starting
setup.exe and things like that.
Also be sure you keep the exact mounting.

I just tried your suggestions, but it still didn't run. Actually it, starts to load, but then just freezes into a black screen. But thanks for trying. Has anyone had any luck w/ this?

Reply 6 of 15, by max1961

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

try changing intelligent to uart (mpu option)

Thanks, didn't help. I installed Screamer 2 to see if that one would work. It has the issue that Screamer 1 has. They both have a setup.exe (maybe the same one?) that goes black screen.

Reply 7 of 15, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Screamer2 and Rally (and maybe 1 too I think) try to check for a network option, usually popping me back to XP with an alert box which I have to close then reclick the taskbar to get back to the setup page. Often it fails.

Very annoying/tricky to do!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 9 of 15, by max1961

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:

you should run screamer 2 under windows preferably with the 3dfx patch + a wrapper

I think Screamer is great, but really didn't like Screamer 2. The controls felt too lose or something. I'm still playing Screamer on my old DOS computer (P3-500), but I've been able to convert just about everything else over to dosbox 0.70. If I could figure out how to get Screamer setup working in dosbox, then I'd be set.

Reply 10 of 15, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ok heres an idea
i assume when you run setup it creates a config file
so i would boot into real dos google for freedos if you dont have real dos
and run the setup there the copy the config file over to your dosbox setup
so you dont need to run it

Reply 11 of 15, by max1961

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:
ok heres an idea i assume when you run setup it creates a config file so i would boot into real dos google for freedos if you d […]
Show full quote

ok heres an idea
i assume when you run setup it creates a config file
so i would boot into real dos google for freedos if you dont have real dos
and run the setup there the copy the config file over to your dosbox setup
so you dont need to run it

I have t he config files from my Win98/DOS7 PC, so I could do this. Only issue is I'm trying to use my USB Wheel with the game and I need the setup.exe to see this. I don't have a DOS driver for the USB wheel, so I think I'll need to be able to run setup.exe in DOSbox or other shell that recognizes the wheel.

Reply 13 of 15, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have screamer 2, and tried to run the setup in ntvdm and dosbox 0.70, and got the opposite result that max1961 had. Setup works fine in dosbox, but just shows a garbage screen using ntvdm with and without vdmsound. As a matter of fact, when I set it up to run in glidos, dosbox was the only way I could get it set up properly.

Reply 14 of 15, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@ wd : in DOSBox 0.70 the Screamer setup.exe does work... Only problem is it usually works only once per DOSBox session ( at the first attempt it will run, but every second attempt causes the screen to go black and hangs ). Only by running DOSBox again one can execute the setup file again...

Reply 15 of 15, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, the setup programs in all the Screamer games are a pain to get running. Many check for network availability, causing it to jump back to XP. Keep trying is my advice!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor