VOGONS

Common searches

Hexx

Topic actions

First post, by madmunky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone manage to get this game working, Would really like to play it again.

It can be found on my website (which is really old)

http://classicgaming.com/bloodwych

Under Hexx -> Downloads

Reply 1 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by madmunky Anyone manage to get this game working,...

What? On any system at all? I gather you would like it run on yours, so you might want to gives us an idea of your system specifications (OS, RAM, Video card, etc...)

Reply 2 of 18, by madmunky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I've got 2 machines both are XP but as far as i remember I couldnt get it working on anythink other than DOS 6.2

Machines are

Intel P2.4
512Meg
60GB
Radeon 9000
Windows XP Home

Amd 1700+
1024Meg
320GB
Geforce 3
Windows XP Pro

Reply 3 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, seems to run fine in XP. Needs at least 800K of EMS (and running it with VDMSound + the GUI Launchpad...I already have it).

Also seems to work on DosBox. This may be the better way, as it seems to generate "background noise" on my PC's speaker when run natively.

Reply 5 of 18, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
madmunky wrote:

Can you tell me how I set it up under XP please dont really want to use dos box as 1 its slow'ish and 2 the sound goes all funny.

*boggles*
On a Pentium 4 2.4GHz and an AMD Athlon XP 1700+, you should have NO problem getting stuff working fine on DOSBox. Increase clock cycles with Ctrl+F12, decrease with Ctrl+F11. Decrease if the sound is choppy, increase if the game runs too slowly.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmmm, We need some way of forcing the user to RTFM.

Aha! Include in the readme that no help will be given to the user unless they read the included documentation in DosBox?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by madmunky Can you tell me how I set it up under XP please dont really want to use dos box as 1 its slow'ish and 2 the sound goes all funny

2.4GHz is plenty to run DosBox. Just adjust the cycles. I think the problem is that your version appears to be "broken". I couldn't get it to work at all.

Originally posted by madmunky I have RTFM and I did increase the speed of Dosbox and it did work BUT it would be nice to play the game native under XP than on a emulator.

If your PC speaker doesn't make noise (or it doesn't bother you) then go ahead.

Originally posted by DosFreak Hmmmm, We need some way of forcing the user to RTFM.

It already says:
For more information read the README file in DosBox directory.
...at startup

I suppose they could always add a death threat.

Reply 9 of 18, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BUT it would be nice to play the game native under XP than on a emulator.

Uhh...NTVDM *is* an emulator. Virtual DOS Machine. There is no 'native' support for DOS in XP, I thought everyone and their mom knew that.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 18, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DUDE, NO.

NTVDM == VMWare, not Virtual PC.

Do you know what a "virtual machine" is?

Virtual Machine
- Does not have a CPU emulation component
- Directly uses the system's CPU
- Is theoretically faster than an emulator

That's not to say there isn't ANY emulation involved. But NTVDM does not emulate the CPU, hence all apps executed by NTVDM run "natively."

Reply 12 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut
I suppose they could always add a death threat.

There ya go!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 18, by Charlotte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ack, sorry to push this old thread up again, but I'm near despair about this game:
I can get it to run (with and without dosbox) via opening animplay.exe, I even get music, but after the intro when I click 'new game' it always crashes without a dosbox and gets me a black screen with dosbox.
What can I do? I've got your average computer with a radeon 9200 graphiccard and windows XP.
I hope you can help me 😁

Reply 16 of 18, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Seems to work fine both under XP and dosbox.

For the download mentioned above try the following:
rename hexx.dat to hexx.bat, open this file in a text editor to be sure that it's a batch file
start hexx.bat, should run setup.exe (if not just delete hexx.cfg or run setup manually)
choose soundblaster twice, maybe nosound/internal speaker for XP
the game should start then

Be sure that ems is enabled, in dosbox type mem and see if expanded memory is there.

hth