EMS problem

Topic actions

First post, by Ziggy Inc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,
I am trying to get wingcommander Armada working. I've installed
VDMS with all the patches and the launcher. My dos days are Far behind me (I'v killed those brain cells i think) I'm having a problem getting the game to start. I keep getting this message:

Protected mode driver not responding to EMS function calls. make sure your EMS driver is not configures with the NOEMS option. If it is replace NOEMS with RAM.

The question I have is do I need to put emm386.exe into my config sys (for the game) and run it? I have tried several settings in the advanved options window no joy there. Any help would be appreciated.

WinXP home
P3 1.3G 512Mb Ram
unsure of Soundcard
GeForce 2go video 32MB

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, your SOL when you encounter that error under NT.

Either use Connectix Virtual PC or Vmware to emulate a PC and play the game. Likely with very inferior results to running it under pure DOS.

or

Dual-boot with DOS and run it there.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by Ziggy Inc Greetings, I am trying to get wingcommander Armada working. I keep getting this message: Protec […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Ziggy Inc Greetings,
I am trying to get wingcommander Armada working. I keep getting this message:

Protected mode driver not responding to EMS function calls. make sure your EMS driver is not configures with the NOEMS option. If it is replace NOEMS with RAM.

The error message isn't really accurate. Wing Commander Armada requires Virtual Control Program Interface (VCPI) services, which (so far as anyone knows) is impossible to run within any form of Windows.

The only way around this is to run it with a "full" PC emulator like "Virtual PC" that can run DOS. Even then, performance will be poor.