VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by v0g0ns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but were there any dos games that used tcp/ip for online play? Since most of the dos games that had some sort of multiplayer feature used ipx or serial connection.

thanks

Rise of the Triad forum

Reply 2 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake

Not sure how accurate this is:

http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attr … buteId,123/p,2/

Last edited by DosFreak on 2007-07-01, 20:54. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In that time, Internet was something esoteric for most of mankind. Modems and BBS were spreaded all over the world, so using serial connections was usual (also, serial connection was the poor man's link between computers). IPX was the standard in intranets, so it was the main reason for the inclusion in games.

There were some wrappers to route IPX over TCP/IP (Kali was one) so you could play late games in internet, but I don't remember a game with TCP/IP options.

As far as I know, TCP/IP was an option not included in Windows 3.x, also. I remember installing Trumpet Winsock to use web browsers in Windows.

Maybe Arachne had some TCP/IP stack, but I don't know...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/info/techinfo.091

Beame & Whiteside TCP/IP ------------------------ […]
Show full quote

Beame & Whiteside TCP/IP
------------------------

This is the only DOS TCP/IP stack supported in the test release.
It is not shareware...it's what we use on our network (in case you
were wondering why this particular stack). This has been "tested"
*extensively* over ethernet and you should encounter no problems
with it. Their SLIP and PPP have not been tested. When connecting
to a server using TCP/IP (UDP actually), you specifiy it's "dot notation"
address (like 123.45.67.89). You only need to specify the unique portion
of the adress. For example, if your IP address is 123.45.12.34
and the server's is 123.45.56.78, you could use "connect 56.78".

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/archive/inde … hp/t-23192.html

If you are comparing joining a public server on the PC with joining a public server on the 360 and making the claim that there are somehow more assholes on the 360, I'm going to have to call shenanigans. Over a decade of playing games online, going back to the Beame & Whiteside DOS TCP-IP Quake and 9600 baud modem, through TEN and Mplayer, through Gamespy, WON, the Zone, and god knows what else I can tell you the public hasn't changed one bit. There are still just as many douches out there as there have always been, proportionately.

http://www.pifpaf.pl/showfile/82/qtest1_zip.html

At this time, there are only 2 network protocols that Quake understands. These are IPX and TCP/IP. The ONLY TCP/IP packets tha […]
Show full quote

At this time, there are only 2 network protocols that Quake understands.
These are IPX and TCP/IP. The ONLY TCP/IP packets that Quake understands
is BWNFS from Beame & Whiteside (this is not a shareware product). The
IPX protocol works fine from both DOS and Windows95, so this protocol is
recommended. Please note that the IPX protocol will NOT work over the
Internet unless a higher-level transport protocol is used. For more
details, please read NETWORK.TXT.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This TEST does NOT work with the modem. In addition, we
have not yet tested Quake running over Kali, SLIP, PPP or any other packet
transport protocol. We would be happy to hear about your success in
getting Quake to run over a phone line, though!

http://www.os2ezine.com/v2n6/quake.htm

Quake for OS/2 supports OS/2's TCP/IP stack. Quake for DOS will run on most people's OS/2 systems without any problems and it will let you play two player games over modems. Unfortunately though, for TCP/IP games it requires the Beame & Whiteside TCP/IP stack, a commercially available product for DOS

I and the rest of the internet must be lying.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 10, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I remember the first DOS game to support TCP/IP was Air Warrior.

And the Internet wasn't esoteric by any means it was just that it was more centred around governmental and educational institution resourcing. Romero and crew knew the value of a supported network protocol that they had been taught to use, thus TCP/IP was supported. There were also unofficial builds of DOOM II that had TCP/IP support.

Reply 8 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

I and the rest of the internet must be lying.

Yeah especially since most of the info you pulled up is for the Test and older 0.91 releases which did not include QLAUNCH.EXE (which is windows 95 only) and MGENVXD.VXD and QUAKEUDP.DLL (also both windows only, and necessary to get Quake's tcp-ip support working).

Try it in pure DOS and you will not ever get TCP working with Quake unless you use the commercial only Beame & Whiteside tcpip stack. DOSQuake's support is not native.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 10, by v0g0ns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, from what I get is that no dos game used tcp-ip for multiplay. And that id software was one of the first game companies to implement over the internet play with tcpip for their games, if im not mistaken. I'm interested in the subject, since I would like to play a few classic dos games, which have had their source code released, over the internet. They are mostly fps games, and the ports that have been written for them dont allow tcpip netplay, like rott's glrott, or shadow warrior or duke nukem's jfsw and jfduke3d respectively. So the only actual dos game that can be played over the internet with full tcpip with clients joining a server is doom, right? With programs like Odamex. The ports I mentioned , otoh, have to be setup manually, with someone hosting and telling the other player to join when ready. That's not very convenient. Any ideas on the subject?

Rise of the Triad forum