VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can tell dosbox to "mount d d:\", so dosbox itself sees the drive, but the game deosn't see it and quits immediately with that message.

I had the same problem with the CD version of Master of Magic (developed by the same people) a while ago, as you can see from the 8th post in this thread. That (along with other problems) was resolved by downloading a different (newer) version of the game from Underdogs. Unfortunately, I don't see a download of the MOO at Underdogs.

Note: I already posted a request for help on this on the dosbox forum. I'm not trying to be a pest, but I figure there might be some people here who could help who wouldn't see the post there. If there's ongoing discussion in both places, I'll keep everybody posted to minimize confusion and duplication of effort.

Reply 2 of 14, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

<Copied from Sourceforge forum>

Thanks. I had been looking at the 0.56 readme, which didin't list cdrom as value for -t. I'm now both running and reading the readme of 0.58.

So I "mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl" just fine. (I get the same results without the -ioctl.) And I can switch to the D drive and do a dir. Buit from any other dirve, when I say "dir d:\" I get "File d:\not found.". and When I try to run the game, I get "Could not find CD volume mpsorion._cd".

</Copied from Sourceforge forum>

That's a different error message than I was getting before, I think. Would -usecd 0 be any different? I'm assuming not, but I'll check...

Well, it's different all right. When I use the -cdrom 0 switch only, it's as if I'm not using either switch. But if I use both swithces (regardelss of which one I list first) dosbox exits as soon as I try to run the game or do a dir of d:\. When I'm using both swithces, I get the crash/exit even if I take the dir from the d:\ prompt.

Reply 6 of 14, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Snover, yes. As I noted, -t cdrom alone has the same results as -t and -ioctl without -usecd.

Nicht ser Gut, I thought that was for use instead of Dosbox, not in addition. What should I do? Where do I download it, etc.?

Reply 8 of 14, by Barking Iguana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finsterr (Ulf Wohlers) on the sourceforge board says "CD volume labels are not supported in 0.58. I added support for it in current cvs. You may try it or wait for the next version."

I'm confused, because I think others have the game working, but maybe they have different versions of the game.

So I guess I need to figure out how to make my own build. I assume there are directions which a progrmammer who hasn't touched a c compiler in over a decade can figure out, but if anyone has anything to add please do.

Reply 9 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Step 1: Get MSVC++6
Step 2: Get source from CVS
Step 3: Open MSVC++ workbench (in visualc folder)
Step 4: Set Active Profile to Release
Step 5: Compile

^__^

Oh, you'll, uh, need some libraries too, but, uh, don't worry about those. (SDL, curses.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Barking Iguana Nicht ser Gut, I thought that was for use instead of Dosbox, not in addition. What should I do? Where do I download it, etc.?

Originally posted by Snover It is, HunterZ stole Nicht's logic circuits.

It is, and no...he didn't. My point is to check whether the problem is actually within DosBox. If the error occurs outside of it, it's obviously not DosBox-related.

Originally posted by Barking Iguana Finsterr (Ulf Wohlers) on the sourceforge board says "CD volume labels are not supported in 0.58. I added support for it in current cvs. You may try it or wait for the next version."

I'm confused, because I think others have the game working, but maybe they have different versions of the game.

That's the part I'm talking about...I'm positive I've got it running before. I have two different copies of MOO, both on CD. Will try them again...

Reply 11 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut Will try them again...

Well, crap. The floppy version works. Mac version works (on Basilisk), the CD version works with VDMSound...but not with DosBox. I had thought mounting the CD as a directory might bypass the problem.

It may be worse than even this, when I ran the "debug" version of DosBox (latest Beta); it did run, but crashed repeatedly, taking DosBox down with it. Hrmm...other options?

Reply 13 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm so the latest beta does run it but makes it crash.

hmmm interresting game. if the problem still exists with the new beta (when it arrives i do not know) then it could be interrresting to check it out as we are always looking for games which seem to have a specific problem. (now the beta is allready old compared to the latest cvs;)

So did I find a little bug in our scrollfunction(graphics) today trying a very small and simple program.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 14 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Barking Iguana With VDMSound, I get "cannot locate CD".

Did you enable "Low-level CD-ROM" support in your .VLP shortcut?

Just running it in XP, I get "No EMS".

Your shortcut doesn't have EMS enabled by default. Right click on ORION, click "Properties", click on the Memory tab, change EMS setting from "None" to "Auto". Both should work, but XP's native emulation is poor.

BTW, both will exhibit the "digital audio pause" behaviour found when running MOO or "Master of Magic" on an NT O.S.