VOGONS

Common searches

Dune 2

Topic actions

First post, by Carrot Top

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry about the short explanation. I have been trying to get the sound to work on an old DOS game called Dune 2. The game runs even with Windows ME, but I couldn't get the sound to work. I can get the sound to work in Windows 98, but not the digital sound. It just dosen't want to play the sound with euther of the sound blaster options.😮

Carrot Top

Reply 2 of 5, by Carrot Top

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's something I never thought of. Is there a way of checking that? I know my brother used to play the game on 98 with the sound, then switched to ME, didn't like ME and went back to 98, noe he has the same problem that I have.

Carrot Top

Reply 3 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snover, you haven't played Dune 2? It - NOT Warcraft 1 - is the father of the realtime strategy (RTS) genre.

Yes, Dune 2 has digitized sound. You have to select Sound Blaster or Sound Blaster Pro to hear it though. There's also a patch that includes an enhanced setup program you can get for it that lets you pick separate hardware for music, musical sound effects, and digitized sounds. I suggest using it and configuring as follows:

Music: General MIDI (or MPU-401 or Sound Canvas or whatever it says)
Musical Sounds: Sound Blaster Pro (or Sound Blaster or Adlib because they sound better on an OPL chip than a MIDI synth for some reason)
Digitized Sound Effects: Sound Blaster Pro (or Sound Blaster)

If you can't get digitized sounds then it's probably not Dune 2's fault. Check your drivers and test with other DOS programs, or - if all else fails - boot into pure DOS mode and install some DOS drivers for your sound card (if necessary). DOSbox also runs Dune 2 decently (it had better, since they themed their web site after it), but I found some quirks.

Reply 4 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No no no, I know THAT, I meant, the copy he has. If it's a rip, it might not have the audio files. And if he's getting MIDI audio, that's the most likely thing for it to be as far as I can tell.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doh. I keep misreading things today 🙄 While it's certainly possible, I don't see the point of anyone ripping the audio files from Dune 2, as it's a small enough game already. Anything is possible though.