VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DustinE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was trying to play zone66 today and i havent used it ln like 7 years... well any ways it doesnt work...

also alot of other game for dos of mine so the same thing...

A) Will not open and give no errors
B) When i type Ctl + Alt + Del next to the program name it says -FROZEN

Im RUnning Windows 2k with sp3

Reply 1 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry mate, you aren't going to get this one running anytime soon.

This system is already under the control of a protected mode program!!!

Please remedy this condition, or run HELPME for help.

You're always going to get that under NTVDM.

Under DOSBox:

379655: DOSMISC:DOS:Multiplex Unhandled call 4300
379723: CPU:GRP7:Illegal call 2
379724: Exit to error: an unsupported feature

This one looks to have been a pig just to run on a regular computer (takes a shit if you have HIMEM loaded for fuck's sake)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I remember that they used some kind of wacked-out custom memory manager garbage in that game, forcing most people to make custom boot disks to run it.

Reply 4 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Sorry mate, you aren't going to get this one running anytime soon.

Yeah, this one needs "real" emulation.

Under DOSBox:

Needs protected mode, but can only use it's own custom memory manager, just as HunterZ said. The worst of both worlds. "Ultima VII" does this as well. In Zone66's case, however they didn't just" hit the hardware", but repeatedly smacked it with a clawhammer. Like a lot of European Amiga titles, they trash part of the OS to gain performance. Supposedly can't be run on a Pentium, but I don't think that's true.

This one looks to have been a pig just to run on a regular computer

True even "back then". having said that, there was a "bad" demo floating around.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie= … %40sfu.ca#link1

...if you have HIMEM loaded

Doesn't want anything memory tool at all, Mr. PottyMouth.

Reply 5 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oops forgot to mention, if you have VPC5 and don't mind dreadful PC Speaker+AdLib audio. It will run on VPC. All the restrictions mentioned apply and you must run it with the "a" parameter:
ZONE66 /a
Trying to run it normally (autodetect) or with the "s" parameter resulted in instant lockup.

Attachments

• zone66-vpc.png
    Filename
    zone66-vpc.png
    File size
    117.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ ...he's having fantasies...

He's running to save his wife and child who die horribly in the huge explosion in the image on the right...
*mumbles*
heartless sob

Reply 10 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DustinE How would i get it working in VPC5... i dont think i have dos any more

Well, I actually haven't tested it in DOS. I ran it on a Windows 95B install within VPC5 (pressing F8 to intercept the startup to bypass HIMEM).

Reply 12 of 13, by Lobivopsis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DustinE wrote:
I was trying to play zone66 today and i havent used it ln like 7 years... well any ways it doesnt work... […]
Show full quote

I was trying to play zone66 today and i havent used it ln like 7 years... well any ways it doesnt work...

also alot of other game for dos of mine so the same thing...

A) Will not open and give no errors
B) When i type Ctl + Alt + Del next to the program name it says -FROZEN

Im RUnning Windows 2k with sp3

It was one of the first 32-bit protected mode games (if not the first)around. It was created by Renaissance, programming was done by Tran. Tran's pmode stub required a clean sustem to run and wouldn't coexist with just about anything. This is the main reason programmers stuck with 16-bit programming for so long, it wasn't untill extenders like DOS4GW became available that anyone wanted to use pmode because it such a pain in the ass.

Too bad IBM didn't designed the original IBM PC with a 68000 as they had originally wanted. PC's would have had flat memory right from the start.

But they didn't because IBM was already was using the 8088 in an electronic typewriter, so they just used that and a modified reference design for a simple computer from Intel.

Last edited by Lobivopsis on 2003-10-02, 13:12. Edited 1 time in total.