VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by karenfromusa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone,

Well I am at a complete loss. I bought an old copy of Alone in the Dark on 3.5 floppies on eBay. I have installed it, and tried to run it under Windows 98 SE. I can get the opening sequence to play, and I can hear the sound fine, but when it gets to the actual part that the game play starts, it crashes back to DOS.

I also tried running it under DoxBox, but the exact same thing happens. I have a riptide sound card on an older HP computer running at 550 Mghtz.

Also, there is a strange thing that happens when I first start the game. It shows a selection of game items, one on top and one on the bottom. There are arrows which allow you to scroll though them, such as the pot, gun, etc. If I click on one of them, I get the message "Wrong Selection!" If I click on them again, I continue to get this message three times, and then the game finally loads. I have no idea what this is all about. I have only ever played this game on a mac, way back when. Am I supposed to choose one or the other of these item icons here? And what is the purpose? To clarify, this is NOT during the game play. It is before the game starts and before you choose which character to play.

If anyone has any ideas about how I can get this game to play, I would greatly appreciate it. The only other thing I can think of is maybe I have to emulate Soundblaster. This and maybe AITD 2 are the only DOS games I want to be able to play.

One other thing, I tried changing my monitor settings to 256 colors, since this is what the game requires, but this did not do anything different. The game still crashed.

Thanks!
Karen

Reply 1 of 11, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you configure the sound card in the setup program correctly? You should also try running it in real dos either by going to shut down/restart in ms-dos mode, or by pressing F8 while your computer is booting and selecting "Command prompt only".

The game should also run fine in dosbox but your pc seems a bit slow for it, so first try the real dos option.

Finally, that selection thing in the beginning is the copy protection. Did you get a manual with the game? But since it let you continue it seems that the copy protection is bypassed somehow or you just made a lucky guess.

Reply 2 of 11, by karenfromusa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you configure the sound card in the setup program correctly? You should also try running it in real dos either by going to shut down/restart in ms-dos mode, or by pressing F8 while your computer is booting and selecting "Command prompt only".

I don't know how to configure my sound card. I get some choices when I first load the game under "configurations". There is Sound Blaster, Sound Master, and some other choices I don't quite understand. I have played around with them, but nothing seems to work. Hmmm, no I think it is not real DOS. I will try that. Thanks.

The game should also run fine in dosbox but your pc seems a bit slow for it, so first try the real dos option.

Yes, it did seem quite slow under DOSBox, but I mostly tried it just to see if it would work at all to try to narrow down the possibilities of what might be causing the problem. I would really rather prefer to run it directly from the computer rather than an emulator if possible.

Finally, that selection thing in the beginning is the copy protection. Did you get a manual with the game? But since it let you continue it seems that the copy protection is bypassed somehow or you just made a lucky guess.

Ahhh, well at least now I know what it is. I believe it is an official copy. It looks official. It is in the official, original box, and it also came with AITD 2 on 9 floppies. There was a manual for AITD2 but not AITD, so it is very strange that it let me pass. Or maybe this is the problem that I am just guessing? Does each disk take a different set of item icons? Or are they all the same?

Thanks for the reply Doomer!!

Reply 4 of 11, by karenfromusa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I tried it under real DOS. I can't even get it to play at all, not even load the the intro. When I choose configuration it just freezes. I am about 99% sure it's my sound card. It must not be compatible. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I can try updating my sound drivers.

Thanks

Reply 5 of 11, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check if your sound card has drivers for DOS and if it supports dos at all. If not, try again running it in windows 98, and you could look for updated windows drivers as well. You can also try running aitd in dosbox, but this time increase cycles by pressing ctrl-f12. It could well be that your sound card is not very compatible but it should still work in dosbox. Last, but not least, you should make sure the game installed correctly as this could be the cause of the crash. Sometimes a floppy disk is damaged and the game continues to install and reports a succesful installation, but some files can still be missing or corrupted. It just does not make sense for it to crash both on dos/win98 and on dosbox in the same way.

Reply 6 of 11, by karenfromusa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I have figured out what is wrong. It occured to me to try AITD2, since it is a newer game. On the intall screen, two of the three choices in the options section are grayed out. It is not recognising one of the sound options or the video option, so apparently they are just not being recognized as being there by either game.

The HP computer I am using is pretty much just a junk IMO, and I never really did like it all that much. I searched online to try to find an updated driver for the Master Riptide sound card, but apparently I have the most current driver.

I am not inclinded to fuss with it any more. I would need to put in a new sound and video card probably, and it's not worth it to me just to play these games. What I think I will do is see if I can find the game(s) on eBay for Macintosh. From what I could see of AITD1, the graphics on the DOS version are much poorer quality anyway compared to the Mac version. I still own my old Macintosh Performa, so playing them on there will be a cinch.

But thanks again for the help! You at least helped me to be able to think it through and discover the problem, and I apprecite it. I'm going to put these games back on eBay and sell them back. Oh well...God I hate DOS. 😀

Karen

Reply 7 of 11, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps one of the disks from the copy you bought is faulty. As for AITD1 running on MAC and PC, never heard the graphics of the same game are different on those systems. 😒

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 8 of 11, by Raymond C. Glassford

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
karenfromusa wrote:

Well I am at a complete loss. I bought an old copy of Alone in the Dark on 3.5 floppies on eBay. I have installed it, and tried to run it under Windows 98 SE. I can get the opening sequence to play, and I can hear the sound fine, but when it gets to the actual part that the game play starts, it crashes back to DOS.

I also tried running it under DoxBox, but the exact same thing happens. I have a riptide sound card on an older HP computer running at 550 Mghtz.

Also, there is a strange thing that happens when I first start the game. It shows a selection of game items, one on top and one on the bottom. There are arrows which allow you to scroll though them, such as the pot, gun, etc. If I click on one of them, I get the message "Wrong Selection!" If I click on them again, I continue to get this message three times, and then the game finally loads. I have no idea what this is all about. I have only ever played this game on a mac, way back when. Am I supposed to choose one or the other of these item icons here? And what is the purpose? To clarify, this is NOT during the game play. It is before the game starts and before you choose which character to play.

This reply might be a little late for the person who posted the original message, but it might be helpful to others who are now experiencing similar problems.

The item icons that can be selected when the game first loads are, indeed, designed for the game's copy protection. Some time ago, a complete listing of the copy protection codes were available from one of the abandonware game sites, and I had a copy of it, but I deleted it early this year just prior to changing over to Mandriva Linux 2007.0 from Windows 98. I have, thus far, been unable to find it again.

If I recall correctly, each selectable item is keyed to a letter of the alphabet, so to unlock the copy protection two alphabetic letters must be entered in the correct sequence. Three tries are allowed; if unsuccessful, the user is booted back to MS-DOS.

All this copy protection nonsense can be avoided by downloading the game from an abandonware game site. The download will have the copy protection unlocked, or 'cracked'. I recommend the following link:

www...................

Edit (MiniMax): Link removed by moderator. We don't encourage download of unlicensed software here at VOGONS.

he size of the download there is 5,336 KB. There is absolutely no need to buy used copies of any of the "Alone in the Dark" games, if they can be found. The games are no longer supported in any way by the original distributor and even used copies are extremely scarce.

I ran the game with no problems on my now discarded AST 486DX2-66MHz with a Soundblaster Vibra 16 sound card. The OS was Windows 98. All drivers to run the game were Windows 98 drivers, not the original MS-DOS drivers for the hardware. I have not yet tried running it on my Compaq Deskpro EN, Pentium 3 933 MHz, Mandriva Linux 2007.0, using DosBox-0.72. I strongly suspect, however, that because 'karenfromusa' can hear sound initially, her Riptide sound card is good enough to run the game's sound. The crashing she complains about might simply be due to her failure to unlock the copy protection scheme.

I would advise first downloading a 'cracked' copy of the game. Install the game, carefully following any special instructions provided with the download. I agree with the person who replied that the game should be run in MS-DOS mode (if possible), rather than using an emulator, although in doing so a slowdown utility should be necessary. "Alone in the Dark" was originally intended to be playable on a machine with a 386-CPU, so a machine running at 550 MHz will run the game way too fast. I want to note, however, that the game is reported to be playable using DosBox-0.65 running under Windows XP. Try DosBox if you do not want the extra bother of downloading and installing a slowdown utility. Keep in mind that not all slowdown utilities are free-of-charge.

Once the game is installed, run the setup program to see what options have been pre-selected and what options are available. It is normal to see some selections grayed-out, so your options might be very limited. My old AST ran the game just fine using the pre-selected options.

I would not recommend installing any drivers specifically to run only this game. That would require too much extra effort and might only lead to more trouble. If you cannot run the game using any of the available setup options, give up. Play another game.

For those who can run "Alone in the Dark" successfully and want the sequels, 'cracked' copies are available at various abandonware game sites. Cheat codes are also available for all titles, so you can be assured of having plenty of health points, ammo, etc. to get you through the game. The difficulty level of "Alone in the Dark 2: Hell's Kitchen" is very high, so cheating a little bit will avoid a lot of frustration. I would rate "Alone in the Dark 3: Ghosts in Town" as the best of the series, but the download is much larger in size than the other two games and my copy ran only under a 32-bit Windows operating system in windowed mode. "Alone in the Dark 2" is the least-liked of the original trilogy.

Reply 9 of 11, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have run into the same problems myself. It's only related to the speed of the CPU. It's not possible to run it on CPU's faster than an 486.
And for that, I tried it with various 486 cpu's on a motherboard.
Worked well on 486/33 and I do not recall about 486/66, 486/100 and AMD 5x86/133.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 10 of 11, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alone in the Dark runs great and smooth on my Pentium 100. May his floppies are somehow damaged, otherwise it'd perfectly work on DosBox.

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 11 of 11, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This site does not support abandonware. We shouldn't advise people to go to abandonware sites unless they got the game from one of them. This is one of the drawbacks of Ebay. People sell their games on ebay without manuals and it hurts the people who want the game because all the paperwork is needed to take care of copy protection.