VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far I've got every PC game I like working on my laptop (Windows XP, Serice Pack 2, 512MB, 2GHz, 32MB ATI Radeon 7500) via normal installation, VDMSound or DOSBox, except one; Carmageddon (the original, not C2 or C3).

Actually, I can run it fine, using only VDMSound, but then it's software 320x200 mode, which is OK, and still very playable, but if possible, I want to play it in a higher resolutuion (Carmageddon was the game that made me buy my first 3D card, by the way). Using dgVoodoo, I was able to run Carmageddon on my old (Win98, 8MB S3 Savage) laptop in 3dfx mode, and it looked great, but on my current laptop I cannot get it to run smoothly in 3dfx mode at all with either dgVoodoo or Glidos (though it runs very fast and smooth in software mode). It might be that my laptop's GFX card won't support Glide wrappers, I don't know.

Anyway, I've tried to run Carmageddon in high res. mode, using the command line:

carma -hires

for the DOS version (high resolution mode is apparently unavailable in the Windows .exes of Carmageddon), but the laptop just crashes. Is this because either Windows XP or my GFX card doesn't support or emulate Vesa 2.0 or something? If so, then can I perhaps emulation whichever version of VESA I need?

Thanks for any answers.