VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kristoffer7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game plays fine and all, but whenever I open doors or do something that requires a sound effect, this weird buzzing noise keeps ringing and it's really annoying. I think it has something to do with F1, F4, F6, F8 and F10 according the the "Keyboard Fun" option. I'd like for the buzzng to stop because its taking me out of the game.

Does anyone have the same problem and know how to fix it? Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is sound working okay under DOS? What soundcard do you have? Does it have ms-dos drivers?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 4, by kristoffer7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Is sound working okay under DOS? What soundcard do you have? Does it have ms-dos drivers?

I don't know. How do I find out? It works fine for the other DOS games, and in the case of LSL 5, which is similar to LSL 6, there were no problems. I'm stumped.

Reply 3 of 4, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kristoffer7 wrote:

The game plays fine and all, but whenever I open doors or do something that requires a sound effect, this weird buzzing noise keeps ringing and it's really annoying.

Do you play it under real DOS or DOSBOX? What kind of music hardware are you using, and what kind of music hardware did you select during the game sound setup?

I did not play LSL6, but many Sierra games use FM synthesizer (or MT-32 synth --depending on the sound card you pick during sound setup) for sound effects. If you pick MIDI as the game's music device and playing the games with DOSBOX, you can sometimes get an ambient buzzing noise. It is not DOSBOX's fault, but I think it is because the default Windows MIDI device is quite shitty.

It also happens even when the game does not use synthesizer for sound effect. For example, it happens in Desert Strike whenever I pick General MIDI for music.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 4, by pottzman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I asked this same question and found an answer........
in dosbox conf file change sound emulation from "sb16" to "sbpro2". leave other options as is. thats it.....enjoy those digital sound. : )