VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jacnjacq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Preliminary ramble:
Hi, just disovered VOGONS, also just discovered VDMSound.
I got Betrayal at Krondor running on my Windows XP-home machine. Drunk with power, I then tried to load and run X-com: UFO defense (original 1994 floppies). This is where the trouble starts.

Main Question:
What kind of "good things" should be placed in the Autoexec.NT and Config.NT files?
(I'm thinking of various PATH:, BUFFERS: etc. command that I never understood that well even back in 1994 with my x486 win3.1 machine. )
The goal would be to define basic/generic x.NT files that would run most DOS games.

Secondary Question:
The VDMSound launchpad allows adding additional stuff to the equivalenlt files for VDMSound. Again, what would be good things to put in there?

3rd Question (why not?):
X-com is a peculiar game which is really several DOS programs that handoff back and forth to each other via a loop in a batch file. For games like this, I presume that the preferences of each and every program file have to be edited to make the thing run correctly. Am I right or way off base?

Reply 1 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by jacnjacq The goal would be to define basic/generic x.NT files that would run most DOS games.

Ech. I'll let somebody else handle that one. Speaking for myself, I'd leave them be and use VDMSound shortcut (VLP --> Properties-->Advanced to "DOS Environment"). That allows you to set up specific changes needed for a particular title, but leaves the original NT files alone.

Secondary Question:

As stated above.

For games like this, I presume that the preferences of each and every program file have to be edited to make the thing run correctly.

No, just create a VLP shortcut for that .BAT file (by running the VDMSound launchpad on it). It will apply the VDMSound settings to everything within that .BAT file.

One other thing, almost nobody has a perfectly smooth XCOM running on modern PC's:
showthread.php?threadid=1686&highlight=XCOM
showthread.php?threadid=1329&highlight=XCOM
showthread.php?threadid=674&highlight=XCOM

DosBox is "getting there" in terms of compatibility, but it's not ready yet (IOW, don't bother trying right now...)

Reply 2 of 4, by jacnjacq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for quick reply.
The root of my post was the lack of conversation regarding Microsoft's attempt to support DOS games in XP.
I note that many of you don't use XP.

And THANK YOU! for the comment regarding my 3rd question. It was a major pain trying to edit all those preferences.

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually alot of us do USE XP. Just not primarily. I find it distaseful to use just one OS...especially XP. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline