VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Aplonis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a very old, DOS-based, laser instrument for which I would like to run its analysis package, DataVIEW version 1.1 by Aerometrics (circa 1996) in emulation on a faster PC.

This would be a program that basically just reads files originating from a Phase Doppler Particle Analyzer (PDPA) instrument and makes reports with graphs from them. It doesn't have to control the instrument itself, just crunch the numbers and issue the same reports.

So what I'm wondering is whether anybody has previously had luck with such non-game softwares in DOS-Box. Barring that might they have alternate recomendations.

I'd like to try getting it going myself. But if that should fail, then I expect my company would not be in the least adverse to hiring a consultant from this group to assist.

Before I shoot my mouth off in a meeting to propose it though, might somebody tell me whether any such thing has been, or could even be, accomplished using DOS Box and other such non-game softwares?

--------------------

Secondly, as a further step, controlling the instrument itself is done via an interface card that plugs into an ISA slot on this old DOS machine. Has anyone made use of PCI-to-ISA bridge cards for outboard ISA card cages? I know such items exist. Has anyone here made use of one?

Thanks you,

Gan Uesli Starling
Test Engineer
Woodward FST
Zeeland MI USA

History is but a fable, agreed upon. -- Napoleon

Reply 1 of 2, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If the analysis program only has to read some datafiles, do some number crunching, and display the results on the screen, then I don't expect big problems. If you need to print the reports & graphs, then it becomes a little more difficult - but doable - with the help a modified DOSBox that can emulate some old printer, grab the output as images, and then you can print the "print-images" from your normal operating system.

No idea on the ISA-card. Not possible from DOSBox I think.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 2, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Couldn't you just get an old (by hacker standards) computer and hook it up to that? Have you tried a DOS box (that is, Start --> Run... --> command) on the computer in question? It should work on Windows 3.1, 95, 98, and ME, but 2000, XP, and Vista work differently. Anyway, DOSBox (the program you're asking about) was made for games but since games are anything but standard (you can show "5" in 5 different ways) it runs all kinds of old programs, with varying degrees of success.
good luck
(by the way, I'm new to DOSBox, if you want expert advice, you should contact Qbix or wd)

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions