VOGONS

Common searches

cant open dos

Topic actions

First post, by emma5887

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its safe to say im a begginer at all this so if i get it wrong please dont shout 🤣 😀
but i downloaded a game for my boyfriend and in the set up instructions it tells me to click the dos file and the game should run. but if i click it the box opens an then closes straight away and nothing happens.
i hope this is in the right place.
please help me 😢

Reply 1 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It is not the right place. DOSBox is an emulator that pretends to be a running old DOS. From your description, it seems like you are trying to run the program from Windows without using DOSBox.

Thread moved to the DOS forum.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 16, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

Thread moved to the DOS forum.

But somehow still appearing in DOSbox general. Weird.

EDIT: even more weird, it lists 'MiniMax' as the last responder, while that should be me. Probably some cache screwed...

JAL

Last edited by jal on 2007-11-08, 15:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 16, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emma5887 wrote:
Its safe to say im a begginer at all this so if i get it wrong please dont shout lol :happy: but i downloaded a game for my bo […]
Show full quote

Its safe to say im a begginer at all this so if i get it wrong please dont shout 🤣 😀
but i downloaded a game for my boyfriend and in the set up instructions it tells me to click the dos file and the game should run. but if i click it the box opens an then closes straight away and nothing happens.
i hope this is in the right place.
please help me 😢

If you want some more helpful advise, you really need to give some more information, like:
1) what is the name of the game
2) what is the name of the file you double click
3) what OS are you using (Windows XP? Mac OS X?)

On a more sexist note, you might let your boyfriend try to run it. Boys are better at it then girls (at using computers, that is).

JAL

Reply 4 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

/me watches this this for replies - wants to see jal getting slammed by emma for that remark 😀

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 16, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

/me watches this this for replies - wants to see jal getting slammed by emma for that remark 😀

Hey, just stating facts 😀.

JAL

Reply 8 of 16, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bet it's giving you an error and then quitting and Windows is closing it right away. My advice is to right-click it (click on the program with the right mouse button) and click Properties and then click on the Program tab and uncheck the "Close on exit" check box (I'm guessing it has a check in it and you uncheck it by just clicking the check). Then you click "Apply" and then "OK". Then you run it again, and it won't close until you click the little "x", so you can read what it says and then give us that information.

Also you may want to clean up your typing ("i", "dont", "begginer", "dos"... geeks tend to be picky about spelling and grammar).

also this appeared to me in the DOS forum (well, actually the "since you last visited search", but it's marked DOS forum)

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 10 of 16, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

I doubt that avatar is a mouse

It is, actually. I think a dormouse. Or otherwise a lab mouse. I took it from the Nature website once (I think it constitutes fair use).

JAL

Reply 12 of 16, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Ok, our definitions of mouse differ 😉

I think it's more or less biologically defined what constitutes a mouse and what doesn't, but if you want to define it otherwise, be my guest 😀.

JAL

Reply 13 of 16, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think he meant the pointing device, and I hope you guys didn't scare off that nice noob, I wanted to help with her problem (and the procedure posted is 100%).

How to become a hacker

Reply 14 of 16, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
general_vagueness wrote:

I think he meant the pointing device, and I hope you guys didn't scare off that nice noob, I wanted to help with her problem (and the procedure posted is 100%).

Hey, she already has a boyfriend, remember 😀. And, continuing in my trademark sexist style, would being female make here a boobnoob?

JAL

Reply 15 of 16, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

But somehow still appearing in DOSbox general. Weird.

And to completely get off topic: the old thread is left as reference so
people find their moved threads and don't complain about them being deleted.

Reply 16 of 16, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was going to say noobette but thought better of it, and was trying hard to not sound like I was trying to get a date; anyway I live in Michigan, so she's probably far away from me.
Did you mean the pointing device or the rodent?
also, I'm still waiting for help with my problem with Doom on my USB stick

How to become a hacker