SB16 + sound in DOS

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gidierre wrote:
>Gonna grab a dos 6.22 bootdosk from www.bootdisk.com and try my luck with it but I bet it doesn't like FAT32 or something […]
Show full quote

>Gonna grab a dos 6.22 bootdosk from www.bootdisk.com and try my luck with it but I bet it doesn't like FAT32 or something

that's for sure
why not create a floppy from Win98 itself
or else search for a bootdisk to dos 7

don't use 6.22 if on a Windows machine, I do that but only in a VirtualPC session

EDIT
look anyway it ought to be simpler if rebooting from Win98 to dos (before resorting to using boot floppies) and making your way from there

I'm sorry but it doesn't work, now tried with a bootdisk created from win98..it still says I'm not using win3.11 or DOS in the installers...same thing happens if I exit into DOs from Win98 or start into the DOs prompt when I boot

C'mon, I've heard people here in the forum using their Soundblaster cards with DOS drivers and still have Win98 so someone must know how it can be done? 😢

Reply 21 of 26, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On my dos-dedicated PC (I use dosbox now) what I did was install dos 6.22 first on a fat16 partition, then I installed Windows 98. After that was done, I could boot into "previous version of ms-dos" and install SB Awe64 drivers for Dos 6.22. Unfortunately, creative dos drivers do not work on dos 7. There might be some modified pack for dos 7 but I don't know where it is.

You can try to install dos 6.22, then install windows 98 on top while keeping the dos 6 installation, then boot with f8, and select "previous version of ms-dos." And you also need to make sure you use a fat16 partition. If you do that, your sound card should install and work just fine.

Reply 22 of 26, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it can be done, it's actually quite easy (if you know how 😉).

As you already found out, the "sbbasic" driver package for DOS will not install on DOS versions that come with Windows 9x. Booting an older DOS version would help, but there is a shorter workaround:

Re-visit Creative's website, but this time choose "Windows 95" instead of "DOS" when searching for drivers.

Get the following files:

• Creative PnP Configuration Manager (Rev 4) (689.49 KB) 9 Jul 98
  • Basic DOS-level utilties for use in Windows95 MS-DOS mode or a Windows 95 Command Prompt only boot. (378.99 KB) 20 Jun 01
  • DIAGNOSE.EXE v4.04 for Win95 SB16/AWE32/SB AWE 64 users. (221.64 KB) 8 Oct 96

Hope this helps...

Reply 23 of 26, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
Yes, it can be done, it's actually quite easy (if you know how :wink:). […]
Show full quote

Yes, it can be done, it's actually quite easy (if you know how 😉).

As you already found out, the "sbbasic" driver package for DOS will not install on DOS versions that come with Windows 9x. Booting an older DOS version would help, but there is a shorter workaround:

Re-visit Creative's website, but this time choose "Windows 95" instead of "DOS" when searching for drivers.

Get the following files:

• Creative PnP Configuration Manager (Rev 4) (689.49 KB) 9 Jul 98
  • Basic DOS-level utilties for use in Windows95 MS-DOS mode or a Windows 95 Command Prompt only boot. (378.99 KB) 20 Jun 01
  • DIAGNOSE.EXE v4.04 for Win95 SB16/AWE32/SB AWE 64 users. (221.64 KB) 8 Oct 96

Hope this helps...

Thanks, will give it a go when I'm home again....at work now 😜

Edit:

hmm..looks like PnP config manager is that ctcmbbs.exe again which doesn't run under Win98 DOS

The diagnose.exe in the dos utilities needs the SB16 DOS drivers to create the correct config.

Reply 25 of 26, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congratulations!

Sorry my first post was so short and didn't give more detailed info (I'm in the midst of moving to a new flat).

Did your Roland cards arrive yet? At least those are really easy to install, no drivers needed at all... 😉

Reply 26 of 26, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:

Congratulations!

Sorry my first post was so short and didn't give more detailed info (I'm in the midst of moving to a new flat).

Did your Roland cards arrive yet? At least those are really easy to install, no drivers needed at all... 😉

Np, it was almost to easy installing the stuff...just a matter of reading the readme.txt 😉 I'm an Amiga user so I'm use to setting things up by hand 😁

No Rolands yet, they were sent yesterday....can't wait to fiddle with them.....

It's just matter of feeding the Roland output into the SB's line in

When everything is hokked up I can finally see what I missed fron 1993-2000 when I didn't own a PC or play any games