Common searches

Low sound

Topic actions

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After finally getting my Soundblaster 16's cards working !00% in DOs with drivers etc I've noticed that the sound output is quite low..I have to crack my speaker system up to the max to get a reasonable sound level...
I've fiddled with the mixerset parameters but it doesn't seem to like anything higher than 224 for both channels (master level)
It's a bit better with my SB16 CT1740 which has the volume level adj. wheel at the back.
Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 6, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on the SB model you have installed...
Which output is your speaker system connected to, Line-Out or Speaker-Out?

There are better mixer applications for the SB16 than the one that comes with Creative's drivers. I recommend Master Mixer 5.11, it can still be found on old FTP servers under the filename "mm5_11.zip".
This mixer program accesses the full capabilities of the SB16 mixer chip, including some undocumented gain settings.

Unfortunately, this wouldn't help much on cards with the all-integrated Vibra16 chipset, since the mixer hardware is missing the gain controls (and bass/treble as well), so increasing the gain through Master Mixer won't do anything on these cards. 😒

Reply 2 of 6, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
Depends on the SB model you have installed... Which output is your speaker system connected to, Line-Out or Speaker-Out? […]
Show full quote

There are better mixer applications for the SB16 than the one that comes with Creative's drivers. I recommend Master Mixer 5.11, it can still be found on old FTP servers under the filename "mm5_11.zip".
This mixer program accesses the full capabilities of the SB16 mixer chip, including some undocumented gain settings.

Unfortunately, this wouldn't help much on cards with the all-integrated Vibra16 chipset, since the mixer hardware is missing the gain controls (and bass/treble as well), so increasing the gain through Master Mixer won't do anything on these cards. 😒

Thanks, gonna try that other mixer...the creative one feels buggy 😜

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 4 of 6, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
Depends on the SB model you have installed... Which output is your speaker system connected to, Line-Out or Speaker-Out? […]
Show full quote

Must say this mixer prog works excellent and is almost too easy to set up 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 6 of 6, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:

Must say this mixer prog works excellent and is almost too easy to set up 😁

Nice to hear it helped! 😀

butterfly wrote:

I'm not sure but I can remember some SB16 models had some jumper to enable a little amplification but I can't remember which models

That's easy to find out: Models with three connectors on the backplate (Line-In, Mic, Line/Spk-Out) have the "enable amplifier"-jumpers, while models with four connectors (Line-In, Mic, Line-Out, Spk-Out) don't need them.